Greets from Gainesville, FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGlove

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm College student at UF (Titletown, florida).

I stumbled upon the forum when I first started homebrewing, and finally decided to register. I've helped some of my buddies make beer over the last few months, (i'm on batch number 5), and decided to buy my own equipment.

I prefer to make wheat beers, but I'm looking to get into lagering now that I have some more space and a refrigerator.

Also, if anyone has an awesome oktoberfest recipe (that doesnt require a 6 month ferment), I am definitely interested. Thats up next on my hit parade. That or a honey mead.

Welcome to the forum. :mug:
Good to see another Florida College student. I go to UCF. Ive only done 1 Oktoberfest batch so far. I got the recipe from the local home brew supply store, but wasnt really impressed with how it turned out. Wasnt bad or anything, just didnt have enough of the oktoberfest style taste to it.

Zar said:
Welcome to the forum. :mug:
Good to see another Florida College student. I go to UCF. Ive only done 1 Oktoberfest batch so far. I got the recipe from the local home brew supply store, but wasnt really impressed with how it turned out. Wasnt bad or anything, just didnt have enough of the oktoberfest style taste to it.

I am going to live in orlando for the summer. I went down last friday trying to find someplace to live, and took a tour of orlando brewery. their beers arent too bad, but im more into german styles.

Unfortunately, because of the low fermentation temperature wheat lagers take time. If you want something quicker, try an ale. Hefe turns out fine as an ale. So do the Weizenbochs and Octoberfests. I would however still recommend fermenting it in your fridge. Just keep it set at about 63 or below.

Anyone wanting to brew traditional german wheat beers should probably reference this amazing thread over at NB - http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=40751. I'd repost it but it's 33 pages long.

As for meads, they can age for up to a year before they really start to come into their own. Not the thing if you're impatient for results.

Mor.

Back