Pumpkin Beer - No fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfbrews

Reaction score
Good morning all,

I did a Dunkelweizen with pumpkin this past weekend, it is the first time I have tried a pumpkin beer.

I used the Dark German Wheat yeast smack pack, and it seemed underinflated when I pitched. So I gave it a day and nothing. I had some extra Safale-05 so I tossed that in last evening, and this morning still nothing.

No foam, no bubbles, nothing. When I checked the preboil gravity it was low so I did a 90 minute boil and hit the OG spot on at 1.051.

I am considering using a smack pack of 1056 tonight if nothing is still happening, but really dont want to waste yeast.

Is it possible the beer is unfermentable? Is there something to pumpkin or pumpkin spice that may cause this? I have never seen a beer with zero bubbles before.

TIA

I would wait to see if the S-05 picks up by this evening. Although I don't brew lagers, I believe they are typically slower to start than ales and require a pretty big pitch rate, so you may have massively under pitched your smack pack over the weekend. Of course, someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong there.

Dunkelweizen isnt a lager...

No way you somehow made an "unfermentable wort". Pumpkin beers will never have an ordinary fermentation IME. Im guessing its in a clear carboy and has a good seal on the mouth? What temperature is it sitting at

Sitting at 68.

Yes on the carboy. Using a big mouth.

Thanks - I am hoping its just an odd pumpkin thing and will pick up.

Thanks all!

Sometimes older smack packs or ones that are chilled at a lower temp take a while to kick in. Glad to hear it's doing good now, but be sure to check it before racking to make sure it is in fact done

Back