Rochester, New York area LHBS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirkwooder

Emperor of all things nobody cares about
Reaction score
I live about an hour south of Rochester and have been buying most of my supplies either on line or at Beers Of The World.

I love Beers of the World, but they aren't really what you would consider a full service LHBS. They don't mill grain. Nobody that I have met that works there seems to be a home brewer. They have a pretty good selection but all too often their stock isn't as fresh as I would like.

Does anybody out there know of another place to buy home brew supplies in the Rochester area or south of Rochester?

After travel costs I bet it's cheaper just to buy stuff on-line.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to check it out, I travel to the city a couple times a month for doctors visits. It would be nice to be able to pick a few things up, including a little bit of advise from someone who actually has brewed a batch of AG.:rockin:

Also AJ's beverage warehouse is just down the street from sunset hydro in Henrietta and they have supplies n grain as well. you can even pick up a bunch of craft beer while you're there.

Also AJ's beverage warehouse is just down the street from sunset hydro in Henrietta and they have supplies n grain as well. you can even pick up a bunch of craft beer while you're there.

Where is AJ's Beer Warehouse? I've never heard of it. Is it on the same road as Sunset?

Where is AJ's Beer Warehouse? I've never heard of it. Is it on the same road as Sunset?

Sure is, from sunset hydro head south on clay rd. and it will be on your right before buy buy baby and buffalo wild wings. If you get to the jefferson Rd. intersection you have gone too far. They have a big sign that says AJ's as well. if your looking for it you wont miss it.

How close are you to Wyoming county? There is a homebrew store in Arcade, mostly wine oriented but will order anything you want. I'm going to be teaching an extract brewing class there at the end of the month and am working on starting a home brew club.

It would be farther for me to go to Arcade than to Rochester.

Thanks for the heads up though! I hope the class goes well!

:goat:

Sunset is pretty much as good as it gets in Rochester. Their main location is not that far from Beers of the World and is much better. We have a local club that meets the second Wednesday of every month and you are free to join us if you would like. I will be talking about experimental brew techniques at the next meeting on the 11th. I will cover things such as shortened mashes and boils along with no chill and real wort starters. Starts at 7:00 at Bathtub Billys in Greece. I know that is a long haul but the knowledge you may gain could be huge. Send me a message if you would like more info.

Sunset is pretty much as good as it gets in Rochester. Their main location is not that far from Beers of the World and is much better. We have a local club that meets the second Wednesday of every month and you are free to join us if you would like. I will be talking about experimental brew techniques at the next meeting on the 11th. I will cover things such as shortened mashes and boils along with no chill and real wort starters. Starts at 7:00 at Bathtub Billys in Greece. I know that is a long haul but the knowledge you may gain could be huge. Send me a message if you would like more info.

How long do your meetings generally last? Do you have any satellite clubs or meetings that meet south of the city? The city isn't the happiest place on earth after the sun goes down these days. :eek: Besides, it is truly more than an hour and a half from me down here in Cohocton. I doubt my wife would DD me home that far.:drunk: and if I'm going to go to a HB club meeting I'll more than likely have a few brews.

I would really like to get a club started down this way, but highly doubt there would be enough interest.

the only drawback to sunset is I'm pretty sure they stopped carrying white labs or liquid yeast of any kind. They may have just been out the past couple times I was there. If you ever buy liquid yeast from BOTW make sure you check the dates. They dont pay much attention to the home brew portion of the business and it would not surprise me if they were selling liquid yeast past there expiration date. Where in Greece do the home brew club meetings take place.

Hey Buczekbrewing,

Is the local club still active in the Rochester area? We just moved to town and I'd be interested in joining and making meetings .

Thanks!
Ken

Yes the club is still very active. We just elected new officers last month so some exciting things are on the horizon. As I previously posted the meetings are at Bathtub Billy's (630 W Ridge Rd # 10, Rochester, NY 14615) and start at 7:30 pm and usually last about two hours but the business side of the meeting is done within the first 45 minutes.

Back