Best way to spend $400?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffNYC

Reaction score
Any recommendations to best way to spend $400? Here's what I have:

* 8 gallon kettle (no spigot)
* turkey fryer propane burner
* 7.5 gallon round Igloo converted to mash/lauter tun
* 6.5? gallon plastic orimary fermenter
* 6.5 gallon glass carboy secondard fermenter
* 50' immersion wort chiller (new)

Ultimately I want to put together either a gravity-fed or ultimately pump, kinda tired of lifting here and there.

JeffNYC said:
Any recommendations to best way to spend $400? Here's what I have:

* 8 gallon kettle (no spigot)
* turkey fryer propane burner
* 7.5 gallon round Igloo converted to mash/lauter tun
* 6.5? gallon plastic orimary fermenter
* 6.5 gallon glass carboy secondard fermenter
* 50' immersion wort chiller (new)

Ultimately I want to put together either a gravity-fed or ultimately pump, kinda tired of lifting here and there.

Normally I'd recommend hookers and smack, but you seem like a good guy so I'll say some type of kegging setup, or maybe a burner upgrade. I'm guessing that the turkey fryer is about 50k btu or so? You can also never have too many carboys sitting around.

No, I think he was listing what he already had on hand as a basis for understanding where he would benefit.

I'd suggest a fridge, temp controller, and another primary. Getting your fermentation temps more controllable is a great way to make better beer (and you can ferment lagers if you wish).

If you're frugal and go used (craigslist) you can then afford a grain mill and a sack of marris otter.

I'll vote for a fridge or chest freezer and a temperature controller; controlling fermentation temps will have the most direct impact on your beer's quality, and will allow you to do true lagers.

Here we go, in order of priority, from top to bottom:

1. Chest Freezer + Johnson Temp Controller
  2. Barley Crusher grain mill
  3. More fermentation vessels
  4. Larger (10gallon+) Kettle
  5. Oxygenation kit
  6. Lumber (2x's and plywood) & hardware for cheap brew sculpture (should alleviate some of the lugging of stuff)

I'd say get a chest freezer with temp controller or build a brew stand. If you're a good bargain hunter, $400 could probably get you both or close to it. Maybe get some 5 gallon carboys for secondaries if you have any funds left over.

I agree with Bobby_M, the_bird, and Evan!...controlling fermentation temps is critical. That's got to be next, unless you are one of those lucky bastids with a basement that is 60* year round.

I too don't like lifting heavy objects, if I can help it or figure out an easier way. Life is to short to get hurt and be in pain all the time from lifting heavy objects.

Here's what I did:

I got 2 small folding scaffolds from Home Depot ($99 each). And I put my tall turkey fryer and HLT on the highest level of the first one. Then put the MLT on 2 each 1x8's that span at mid-level between the 2 scaffolds. On the lowest level of the second scaffold I have a Banjo Burner and boil pot which is just high enough so I can gravity feed into a fermenter sitting on the ground.

This was cheaper than what my LHBS wanted for a dedicated brew stand. The scaffolds fold up and take up very little room in storage, they have nice large lockable wheels if I need or want to move them around. They also have a work shelf on the ends that will hold my paddle, thermometer and other accessories handy. A big plus for me is they come in handy for doing other work around the house such as painting, and other projects I might have going.

I also agree with Brewtus about going with a kegging setup. I find bottling to be boring, time consuming and a general PITA. And think corny kegs make the absolute best secondary fermenters you can buy. Couple that with the fact that they are close to the same price as a glass carboy and there is no comparison between the 2.

The Banjo Burner and kegging setup both save a lot of time.

I happen to be one of those fortunate souls with a conditioned air basement.
But if I didn't have one I think I would go with an Igloo Ice Cube cooler
($25) and modify it as a fermentation chamber, long before I purchased a dedicated fridge or freezer and temp controller for that purpose.

Best wishes:mug:

abracadabra said:
I got 2 small folding scaffolds from Home Depot ($99 each). And I put my tall turkey fryer and HLT on the highest level of the first one. Then put the MLT on 2 each 1x8's at the mid-level between the 2 scaffolds. On the lowest level of the second scaffold I have a Banjo Burner and boil pot which is just high enough so I can gravity flow into a the fermenter sitting on the ground.

Let's see pics please!

Thanks for the advice, all outstanding and helpful. Several things I didn't think of, so it was great to get some different views.

abracadabra said:
I too don't like lifting heavy objects, if I can help it or figure out an easier way. Life is to short to get hurt and be in pain all the time from lifting heavy objects.

Here's what I did:

I got 2 small folding scaffolds from Home Depot ($99 each). And I put my tall turkey fryer and HLT on the highest level of the first one. Then put the MLT on 2 each 1x8's that span at mid-level between the 2 scaffolds. On the lowest level of the second scaffold I have a Banjo Burner and boil pot which is just high enough so I can gravity feed into a fermenter sitting on the ground.

This was cheaper than what my LHBS wanted for a dedicated brew stand. The scaffolds fold up and take up very little room in storage, they have nice large lockable wheels if I need or want to move them around. They also have a work shelf on the ends that will hold my paddle, thermometer and other accessories handy. A big plus for me is they come in handy for doing other work around the house such as painting, and other projects I might have going.

I also agree with Brewtus about going with a kegging setup. I find bottling to be boring, time consuming and a general PITA. And think corny kegs make the absolute best secondary fermenters you can buy. Couple that with the fact that they are close to the same price as a glass carboy and there is no comparison between the 2.

The Banjo Burner and kegging setup both save a lot of time.

I happen to be one of those fortunate souls with a conditioned air basement.
But if I didn't have one I think I would go with an Igloo Ice Cube cooler
($25) and modify it as a fermentation chamber, long before I purchased a dedicated fridge or freezer and temp controller for that purpose.

Best wishes:mug:

I built mine from some scrap steel I got for free, so total cost was ~ $50. :ban: LOVE IT! Don't have to lift a damn thing. I think the $200 you spent on scaffolds would easily pay for the materials to build a stand (unless you want a single tier that requires pumps). If you don't already know how to weld, get a friend who knows how to help you.

brew%20stand%20in%20action.jpg

Kegging would be 2nd on my list and a freezer/fridge for fermentation a distant 3rd. I haven't had any problems keeping my fermenters at the temps I want using this. Since I already had the cooler, I consider the cost $0. Swapping frozen bottles out every once in a while is easy.

temp_controller.JPG

I am not currently brewing as the weather is just to darn hot here in Hot'lanta (plus I've got much beer left from spring). When the first cold front comes thur I plan to set up and start again. And I post some pix then.

Lil sparky I completely agree with your assement and priorities. But my other hobbies include construction, I'm currently building a shed over a pumping station, turning the second story of the barn/garage I build into a home theater/music room, and am considering starting a handyman biz if AT&T decides they no longer want my services, so my scaffolds do double duty.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that they should do as I do just offer some alternative ideas to what I see posted.

abracadabra said:
so my scaffolds do double duty.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that they should do as I do just offer some alternative ideas to what I see posted.

Sometimes thats the best way to keep it under the SWMBO radar.

:rockin: Barley crusher will make your wallet happy! Oxygen will make your yeast VERY happy! Kegs will make you happy at bottling time! And another primary would make your production volume happy! If you are thinking fridge think chest freezer with a collar. You can do so much more with that than a fridge. Craig's is awesome for those too! What are you looking to do? Make cheaper beer, make better beer or make bottling time easier? I think maybe that's what you are asking without knowing. Which one is most important. I buy hops in bulk now and I now have a barley crusher. OMG!!! price per batch of beer is HALF or less than when I was doing extract. Much less if I reuse yeast. Since I got my crusher it's even cheaper. Kegging however is really sweet! It's not time consuming like bottling. It's like racking a beer to 2nd. Then chilling and chuggin right out of the tap! Oh man, that's the first thing I did when I hooked up my tap is sucked beer right from it! There is nothing cooler. An oxygen setup is next on my list. I hear you can get a bottle and a regulator for about 50-60 bucks. Anyhow, hope this helps!:rockin: :rockin: :drunk:

for 400 bux you should be able to get nearly everything! You could easily score a chest freezer for under $100 on Craig's, etc. Then get a controller for $50. Then get an oxygen setup from morebeer for $35. Then, you could go the barleycrusher route....or you could go the brewstand route. I think I spent around $175 on my stand, burners and all...it has yet to make its maiden voyage, but I don't expect too much trouble....check my gallery for pics.

Lil' Sparky said:
I built mine from some scrap steel I got for free, so total cost was ~ $50. :ban: LOVE IT! Don't have to lift a damn thing. I think the $200 you spent on scaffolds would easily pay for the materials to build a stand (unless you want a single tier that requires pumps). If you don't already know how to weld, get a friend who knows how to help you.

brew%20stand%20in%20action.jpg

Kegging would be 2nd on my list and a freezer/fridge for fermentation a distant 3rd. I haven't had any problems keeping my fermenters at the temps I want using this. Since I already had the cooler, I consider the cost $0. Swapping frozen bottles out every once in a while is easy.

temp_controller.JPG

I am not that mechanically proficient (and neither are my friends). I like the scaffolding idea, I'm going to look into that. And kegging. And the malt mill....

Jeff

ScubaSteve said:
for 400 bux you should be able to get nearly everything! You could easily score a chest freezer for under $100 on Craig's, etc. Then get a controller for $50. Then get an oxygen setup from morebeer for $35. Then, you could go the barleycrusher route....or you could go the brewstand route. I think I spent around $175 on my stand, burners and all...it has yet to make its maiden voyage, but I don't expect too much trouble....check my gallery for pics.
Yep, agreed. You should get a lot of mileage out of $400 if you shop smart, and get a few things 'pre-owned', like a freezer.

Personally, though -- I would prioritize the kegging system. That was one of the more expensive items that I put off buying, and then realized what I had been missing out on. You can always DIY a brew stand or get a cheap $20 mill that works adequately, but there is really no replacement for kegging (well, unless you like bottling!).

:D

I do not like bottling. Only thing is I don't have space now for a kegerator, and need to look into other alternatives for cooling kegs.

If you've got space for a coffee table.....you've got space for a kegerator...:ban:

Grimsawyer said:
What are you looking to do? Make cheaper beer, make better beer or make bottling time easier? I think maybe that's what you are asking without knowing. Which one is most important.

Great point, nice way of breaking it down. My priorities are:

1) Reduce clean up time (kegging)
2) Easier brewing effort (less lifting primarily, avoid boil overs, and boiling faster)

With only a few exceptions (temperature control while fermenting I think), my beers are very good. Could always be better. I just got a wort chiller which should improve things, and I'm going to look into a grain mill.

My basement is under 70 degrees in summer, and 50 degrees in winter. I lager in winter.

Back