sanitation and cleaning question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad hops

Reaction score
what are good sanitizers and cleaners to use? I dont fel very confident about the powdered stuff i recived with my kit. Please anybody can you give me some good pointers!!

thanks!
:drunk:

I like star-san for most santizing, though I like one-step for bottle sanitizing.

i have Straight-A and PBW for cleaning.

I also bought iodophor, but mostly use it to check conversion on All grain batches.

I use iodophor exclusively. I mix up a couple of 5 gallon buckets worth and soak everything I use in it until I need it, then I put it back in after I'm done. I don't really use a "cleaner" per say. I just rinse my equipment with water when I'm done with it and soak it in the iodophor before I use it again.

Bike N Brew said:
I use OxiClean for cleaning, and StarSan for sanitizing. It's a pretty popular combo on this board.

+1... Though make sure you get the OxiClean "Free" variety, it has no fragrances or other crap you don't want in your beer that the regular oxiclean has in it. And starsan... well, starsan is just plain amazing - I won't rehash, there are plenty of threads detailing the many ways in which starsan is an awesome sanitizer.

mad hops said:
what are good sanitizers and cleaners to use? I dont fel very confident about the powdered stuff i recived with my kit. Please anybody can you give me some good pointers!!

thanks!
:drunk:
star san is awesome ,I also use bleach when in a bind.

Back