Hops/bier garden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchuklobrau

Reaction score
Just wanted to throw out some pices from my build to show some different ideas. these are all from last year, when they get going good ill show the difference 1 year makes
0706011034.jpg

0706011035.jpg

0706011035a.jpg

0706011036.jpg

40 plants total all but 11 were rhizomes from the original 11. Chain link works great, wood fence works great. Jute twine from wood fence up to the main cable, same from chain link up to the cable(where the bines did not reach the cable on their own.

Wow, that is a beautiful sight. Well done.

What's the sign say?

Absolutely awesome man. When we buy a house I am going to steal your idea. Instead of a bier garden behind the wall of hops though we will have a regular garden with all kinds of veggies and such. Great work man, really beautiful.

sign says Gerti's biergarten(Gerti is my mother inlaw's nickname).

Did not touch the hops on the chainlink last year, got more than i could use just off half of the front row. Gave a 6-10 lb of wet hops away and 3-5 lb of dried hops away. still have 3lb of wet vacuumsealed in my freezer as well as 1.5lb of dried. They are for decoration as well as use so quantity does not matter.

This is also the reason i dont trim any 1st shoots. I dont need to increase my harvest any. lol
0410011256b.jpg
an inside view.

first pic of this years growth by the arbor.
100_2038.jpg

March in WNY and already have some past the 2' mark

That is one of the coolest things I have seen in a long time.

How does the production of your fence hops compare to your trellis hops? I have 18 first year hops planted but I had 3 from last year that I did not trim and just kind of let grow wild. I bought stuff to build a pavilion that they can climb over, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

That is one of the coolest things I have seen in a long time.

How does the production of your fence hops compare to your trellis hops? I have 18 first year hops planted but I had 3 from last year that I did not trim and just kind of let grow wild. I bought stuff to build a pavilion that they can climb over, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

all along the chain link were planted last year so imnot sure. should not be much different than the picket fence setup. chain link is only 1' higher than the picket fence then it will climb ropes to the wire i hve across the expance.

100_2090.jpg

100_2091.jpg

100_2092.jpg

front row coming along nicely after I trimmed all back to nothing. Back row with the chain link filling in nicely.

Glad to see things are working out for ya. I'm down to about a dozen plants which are dug up and trimmed back about every two years. Just don't have the time any more. Hop ON!

Beautiful. Oh, to have open space!

The lot is not really all that large 85x220. Yes i live in the country but its all about what you do with what you have. My buddy owns 8.5 acres and never stops btching about the upkeep. LOL so I keep telling him to till it and plant something, less to mow.

wow that is amazing looks wicked and bet it smells even better when its close to harvest time

That looks great...If you move the picnic tables around you could also have a nice petanque court :)

how many OZ. do you end up with at the end of the year. my oh my i would love to do this in the back yard. your my hero

I gave everything to a fellow hbt'r, last pm i recieved had the tally to 8lbs wet weight , so rough math sets that to him getting 32oz dried. I negected the $^%$@% outa them this year though.

Sorry no pics. I sold that house and moved to Germany. I am hoping to eventually have a house and make a new biergarten here.

Back