I think I have a stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeadLover

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't normally post things like this because I normally don't have this kind of problem. I'm making my winter mead that I've done before but I made a couple of changes this time. The recipe is:
1 gallon apple juice
1 gallon cranberry juice
5 lbs clover honey
6 cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
8 allspice berries
I have always used the White Labs WLP 720, sweet mead yeast, and never had any problems. I made a nutrient/energizer mix following Curt Stock's method, 1 tsp energizer, 2 tsp nutrient. I added 3/4 tsp of this at the same time I pitched the whole vial of yeast. I later realized he sized his additions based on a 5 gallon batch and mine's 3. I did all this on Saturday.

Here's the problem, each day I've been adding the nutrient/energizer mix and checking gravity with my refractometer, adjusted by beersmith for fermenting wort. My OG was 1.095, Sunday it was 1.089 and today it is 1.096. Brix readings were 22 Sunday and 23 today. Yesterday I felt good about it but today I'm thinking there might have been some water in the pipette with the sample that threw off the reading.

I know a lot of people have had problems with WLP720, but I never have. I also know it's only 2 days in but my last batch of Caramel Apple Mead was really kicking at this point in its fermentation. My question is, should I get a packet of dry yeast and re-pitch? Maybe another vial of 720? Should I just RDWHAHB? Like I said, I've made this recipe before and it was easy, but this time I lowered the amount of honey and I'm using SNA. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

I forgot to mention that this is living in my basement with the rest of my brews, and the temperature is about 67F.

is that a typo? looks like gravity has increased.
did you dissolve all the honey?

i would just wait a bit. might have just started off a bit slow.

No, it's not a typo, it's the numbers I read. I'm pretty sure I dissolved all the honey. And maybe the increase in gravity is my looking at it a little wrong. I wouldn't consider 1 point too big a deal. My main thing is that at the best the gravity hasn't changed any when the 1 gallon batch right beside it has made big changes.

Thank you for the reassurance. I think I just wanted someone else to say it. I'll be leaving it alone for a while and see what it does.

Back