Advice on Next Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpstudio18

Reaction score
So I'm two batches in...both extract, both turned out pretty well. Made an IPA and a Cream Stout. For my third brew, to thank the girl for her continued acceptance of this hobby, I told her to pick the beer. All she gave me was "something a little lighter that's not too bitter or sweet and easy to drink". My first thought was the extract version of BM's Centennial Blonde Ale. I also looked at the Liberty Cream Ale kit from Midwest, but was kind of hoping to not go the kit route again. I should also mention that I don't currently have the extra money to buy an additional brew pot for partial mash/small AG so unfortunately it looks like I will be sticking to extract for this one, and I don't have the resources to lager. If this short tale has immediately brought a good recipe to your mind, please share it! Thanks in advance.

So you want to do an extract, something not too bitter or sweet, and not a kit? You could try something like:

6lbs Light LME
0.5oz Liberty @ 60 mins
0.25oz Liberty @ 30 mins
0.25oz Liberty @ 15 mins
0.25oz Liberty @ 0 mins

You could easily swap the Liberty hops for Mt. Hood, Cascade, or whatever you want, just look up a hop chart like this:
http://kotmf.com/articles/hopslist.php

I'd ferment with either Safale US-05 or Nottingham at as close to 60 degrees as possible. Have fun brewing!

What about a hefeweizen? The recipe could be something along the lines of

8oz-1# read wheat
8oz carapils
4oz honey malt
6# Wheat DME
1oz Vangaurd Hops or maybe tettnang
0.25 oz candied orange peerl
WLP380

then bottle corn sugar or honey

edit: forgot to mention 3 gal boil, Steep grain at 155 for 30m, hops in at 45m before flameout

Back