8$ wheat bush beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2brew1cup

Reaction score
This is a cheap beer.
Ive had great success with this as a begining brewer.

Boil 1 1/2 gal water and add;
Half box/bag unprocessed wheat bran
Malted milk
3lb sugar
One box tension tamer teabags by celeste company
Boil for 30 mins
Pour into primary with
2 1/2 gals roon temp water inside
Add 2 pkts...
BAKERS YEAST
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
set for ten minutes then stir

Ferment at 60-66 degrees F

This beer clears up well. And tastes amazing for the price and low time
DONT JUDGE ME!!!
BAKERS YEAST IS PEOPLE TOO!!

underground and under the influence

Tension tamer tea cobtains hops. Im brewing a second batch with wyeast 3068. In a few days

Post a pic of it brewed and in a glass, gotta see it to be inspired to brew....any tasting notes on this bad boy?????

Im glad you like it. I however will not be wasting fermenter space with the stuff. Although I imagine it is good in a couples days right?

I may be coming off as an ass, but I just dont believe this can be a good 'beer'. And I can also brew two cases worth of blonde ale or light wit for less than 10 bucks (I buy grain and hops in bulk, and reuse yeast) and it actually contains real malted grain and hops, you know, what goes in real beer.

I suggest you try to brew one of the starter kits from a LHBS, or one of the many great online vendors if you havent already. I promise it will come out alot better than that hooch you are currently making.

As i said. As a beginning brewer. Really good to get a handle on the process. Also with gelatin as a clarify agent its clear and given it needing next to no aging the bakers yeast doesnt develop skunky wild flavors. It has malt via the malted milk. And boiling the grains makes a fine wort. I did label this BUSH BEER its scrapped together but worth it. And as someone who uses food grade buckets and doesnt buy bulk this works well for what i am going for. I would honestly compare it to a blonde or wit.

Did the whole kit thing. Hated it. Had poor success. Tasted like piss beer/wine. Bottle with raisins or karo vanilla. Also id swear by it.

Posting to subscribe. I'd also like to see some pics of both the process and the finished beer. I don't think I'd brew this, but I am interested in hearing more about it, and if anyone else tries it. :mug:

You arent being an ass. You simple don't view bush beer as beer. And you arent alone. But for 8$ per 4 gal without buying in bulk its a great project for anyone looking for beer on the cheap that doesnt taste like busch bladderwash

I cannot imagine that wheat bran, tea, and that much table sugar fermented with Baker's yeast would taste anything like beer.

Yes. I canbonate with vanilla karo. Who knew the homebrew world was full of such naysayers. Cant knock it till you try it I always say. Then again, I'm not so pretentious

Yes. I canbonate with vanilla karo. Who knew the homebrew world was full of such naysayers. Cant knock it till you try it I always say. Then again, I'm not so pretentious

I wouldn't say "naysayers," I think it's more that most of us aren't necessarily concerned with the absolute cheapest ways to get drunk... that's not what home/craft brewing is about. Sure, it's nice if you can save some money here and there, but that's not te be-all end-all.

Having said that, I wouldn't even consider this beer... a malted bevarage, perhaps, but that might even be pushing it.

I never said it was for a cheap drunk. We are in the beginning brewers area of this forum are we not? This is a cheap recipe for beginners to gain an understanding of the process. With an enjoyable end product. I never said youd make an award winning dunkel with this. Nor was anything but BUSH BEER implied

I believe it takes all kinds in the homebrewing community. I appreciate your experimentation and it would be good to try this to know how to do it if ever the need arose. I am currently on a pursuit to improve my process in the all grain arena and am turning out some pretty tasty beers, but one day knowing how to do a simpler style could come in handy - you just never know.

Thanks for the post and I wish you well in the world of homebrewing.

2brew1cup said:
This is a cheap recipe for beginners to gain an understanding of the process.

Sorry bit I dissagree. This "process" is off a bit. Aside from making sugar water and fermenting it, I think its nothing like making beer. I'd rather see a beginner making a prehopped Cooper's kit in a Mr. Beer.

how much malted milk...I made a muntons light beer kit for the folks who come over who don't like my other "real" beers, but would be happy to have a few gallons of this around for the same purpose.

you can use 2 small cans of the liquid malted, or 1 container of powdered malted milk. since malted milk powder contains sugar make sure you cut back to about 2 1/2 pounds of sugar.

i would suggest red mill wheat bran. cheap and organic and you will only use half.

Sorry bit I dissagree. This "process" is off a bit. Aside from making sugar water and fermenting it, I think its nothing like making beer. I'd rather see a beginner making a prehopped Cooper's kit in a Mr. Beer.

You must mix and boil all ingredients. like the EXTRACTS in a beer kit. you must mix and cool in a primary, with a fermentation lock. UNLIKE the lockless mr. beer. You must add yeast and allow to settle. Like an EXTRACT kit. and you must fement, clarify (unlike mr. beer ), condition, and if you use wyeast 3068, you can age it for as long as you want. I fail to see how this can be trivialize to making sugar wine. Go hate on someone else. I'm not pretending to do anything beyond what I've said. This is Bush Beer. Beer you make from what you can get in the house or at the grocery store. Not everyone has the expendable income for All-Grain equipment. That doesn't mean they cannot enjoy home brewing, and that's what this is home brewing all the same. I don't need to order in ingredients to enjoy a home brew.

What does it matter?

So far, the OP has been quite mature and respectful in his posting. Let's respond in kind and keep this thread on topic and helpful rather than judgmental.

OK then, so what does this taste like?

How long does it typically take to clear up with bakers yeast?

Surprising, bakers yeast gets bad rep in terms of taste and clarification. YES, finer yeasts are called fine for the reason but in this brew it doesn't really come into effect. Since it is ready fast with little aging the beer doesn't have time to develop wild skunky notes of wet cardboard, etc. Also, when the bonfire stage is complete and i siphon my beer into my secondary i disperse 1 tsp of clear, flavorless, gelatin over the surface and allow it to settle out much of the murkiness. After conditioning for about a week and a day or 2 in the fridge it is surprising, if not perfectly clear. As for the raisins. I place them in with my priming solution. Using a pairing knife to slice a raisin, not in half but just scoring, i drop 2 in each bottle. They lend little to no flavor until the bottom, but they make great gas nodes when the bottle is cracked. they really help "open it up"

OP- Thank you so much for this contribution. I bet you could have guessed the chances of a poor reception with all the snobs around these parts!

I would love to try this out. $8 for what could be a drinkable beer? Why the hell would you not try this out? Even if it fails miserably it would be a REALLY fun experience. You made no pretenses that this produces a world class beer so I don't understand all the hate! It is very enjoyable to do something that is completely against the norm. I like how some of the same people attacking you were the same people that participated in the "Making beer from grocery store only ingredients" competition a year or two ago.

Plus if this works out, it would be a great "Post apocalyptic/zombie infestation" beer recipe :D

the main ingredient in Malted milk is Malted Wheat and Malted Barley extract. The residual ingredients are mostly sugars and corn substrates that will be broken down as fuel during fermentation. It is more our less your Barley/Wheat Malt. the fact that is milk lends a bit to the body of the beer. Its not powder once its boiled into the wort. it is malt and some simple sugars by that point.

I greatly respect this recipe. I don't know if ill make it, but I might. I like the idea of brewing with things that are commonly found in the supermarket. And I like what this stands for. I would like to see other recipes not involving a trip to the LHBS. Im sure during Prohibition this is exactly the kind of thing people were up to.

Plus if this works out, it would be a great "Post apocalyptic/zombie infestation" beer recipe :D

Haha my thoughts exactly. Glad I'm not the only one with this in my list of pros to home brewing. Without a LHBS this is absolutely something I'll be working on during the end of days.

Hmm... I might try this for my "camp beer". Next year, I want to make a beer while camping on the camp fire, then leave it to ferment for a few days and have it ready to drink before the trip is over. I'd use less sugar though.

One note though, I have to agree that brewing this is not really building experience for you. This is something you should view as an experiment rather than a building block. I recommend either extract kits or partial mashes to grow your experience.

Where do you get wheat bran? Is it in the cereal aisle or do you get it at a health food store?

Usually the health food aisle. But it doesn't run more than a buck eighty something double what you would need.

Had to pick up some stuff at the store for dinner tonight and honestly looked around for all the ingredients of your bush beer. May take me a few trips but on my list.

the main ingredient in Malted milk is Malted Wheat and Malted Barley extract. The residual ingredients are mostly sugars and corn substrates that will be broken down as fuel during fermentation. It is more our less your Barley/Wheat Malt. the fact that is milk lends a bit to the body of the beer. Its not powder once its boiled into the wort. it is malt and some simple sugars by that point.

Good to know, that changes my perspective on it.

Lol.. I actually got a kick out of this recipe. I probably won't run out to hurry up and make some. Especially since I'm in afghanistan for a year and can't drink, but I think little inventive things like this are fun and neat, and out of the norm. I salute you, oh proud maker of piss water beer lol. This sounds like one of those things I'll probably make just for ****s and giggles though one of these days. I've got enough fermenters why not, then I can just save it for my bud light drinking friends.

Back