Coopers Carbonation Drops to Teaspoon Conversion Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zyx345

Reaction score
I normally use Coopers Carbonation Drops to bottle prime my brews. I realize bulk / batch priming is the preferred method however, to keep costs down I may try table / cane sugar on my next batch to bottle prime.

I want to get an idea of how much carbonation 1/2 tsp, 3/4 tsp, and 1 tsp produces in a 12 oz bottle.

The package on the Coopers Carb Drops says its 60 drops @ 250g.

If 1 Teaspoon of table sugar is equal in weight to 4.2 grams (see link below), is it safe to say that each beer carbed with Coopers Carb Drops is the equivalent of 1 tsp of table sugar carbing?

http://nutrition.about.com/od/askyournutritionist/f/gramconversion.htm

Seems right.

But if you're going to use sugar instead of drops, why not go with batch priming? Also, I'd use corn sugar, but if you want to use cane sugar, and want to bottle prime, then consider this:

Measuring by volume with cane sugar isn't really acurate. There can be plenty of air in between the granules.

Use a carbonation calculator to figure out how much you want to carb. By going with a standard 5oz of corn sugar in a 5 gallon batch (and I often use much less, under 3 oz's for some browns) equates to about 142 grams or so, which means each bottle if you yield 50 gets 2.8 grams of sugar.

Seems like a pain in the but to measure that out per bottle.

the 2 most important things i learned when getting away from the carb drops (and they do work perfectly)was:

1. if using "grocery sugar" make sure its not from beets but from cane.
2. whatever sugar you're using, measure by weight not volume.

test number 2 by measuring 1/2 cup three times and weigh each. plus volume of cane vs corn is DRASTICALLY different in weight.

2. whatever sugar you're using, measure by weight not volume.

This right here. It still amazes me America hasn't adopted the metric system like the rest of the world. Instead of smart divisibles of 10 we have to remember so many different numbers - like how many inches are in a foot? How many feet are in a mile? - (5280), how many ounces in a pound? (16), How many fluid ounces in a gallon? (128). I know all this but anyone I ask doesn't because it's too many different numbers to memorize instead of simple divisibles of ten.

But that brings me to the point on hand. Our system makes things even more confusing... there are weight ounces and fluid ounces! So yeah, 8 ounces can be weight ounces or volume ounces, but of course only volume for fluids. The metric system however keeps them separate - grams are weight and liters are fluid volumes. /rant :p

Rev.

This right here. It still amazes me America hasn't adopted the metric system like the rest of the world. Instead of smart divisibles of 10 we have to remember so many different numbers - like how many inches are in a foot? How many feet are in a mile? - (5280), how many ounces in a pound? (16), How many fluid ounces in a gallon? (128). I know all this but anyone I ask doesn't because it's too many different numbers to memorize instead of simple divisibles of ten.

But that brings me to the point on hand. Our system makes things even more confusing... there are weight ounces and fluid ounces! So yeah, 8 ounces can be weight ounces or volume ounces, but of course only volume for fluids. The metric system however keeps them separate - grams are weight and liters are fluid volumes. /rant :p

Rev.

amen! (no pun intended)

Back