AA Root Beer (Kegged)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r2eng

Reaction score
6oz Zatarain's Root Beer Extract
4.75 gallons warm water
1.5# white Sugar (+/- to taste)
1.5# dark brown sugar (+/- to taste)
----------
2 oz Licorice root
2 oz Sassafras root
1 oz Star anise

Mix the first 4 ingredients and set aside.

Prepare the spices/roots by simmering them in 2 quarts of water until the volume is about half (1 quart).

Strain the water from the spices into the root beer and force carb in a keg. My kids love this. Some people people prefer more sugar...

When you mention sassafras root, are you referring to using an actual root? If so, I thought sassafras root was determined to be toxic long ago.

Simply leave it out if you are concerned at all. I know there's a lot of debate, so you have to decide.

here's a crazy thought .....if you added yeast would it have alcohol content?

Absolutely it would. :drunk:Depending on how much of the sugars you allow the yeast to consume will alter the flavors from mildly to dramatically. However, you cannot allow fermentation in a capped bottle or it will blow up. There are lots of resources here if want to learn about fermentation.

never made soda before, but would like to try this out. The only thing is that I will bottle this batch. Do I go about it like beer? Add roughly 4 oz priming sugar to bottling bucket, siphon root beer in, then proceed to bottle? What volume co2 would i be shooting for with root beer. My guess is high, like 3.0 volumes.

BucksPA:

Check out Yooper's easy ginger ale recipe in this section: she bottled her ginger ale and has the information you need. I have never bottled soda before, so I can't help ya!

BucksPA said:
never made soda before, but would like to try this out. The only thing is that I will bottle this batch. Do I go about it like beer? Add roughly 4 oz priming sugar to bottling bucket, siphon root beer in, then proceed to bottle? What volume co2 would i be shooting for with root beer. My guess is high, like 3.0 volumes.

You have to add yeast to bottle Carb. Be careful, though. Read up first!

Sassafras roots were used in teas and drinks for a long time. The Safrole (extracted from the root), it what was deemed dangerous and in large amounts over large periods of time.

You can use Sassafras root extract without hesitation.

The easiest way to bottle carb soda is to just use Munton's Carb Tabs. Straight forward, to the point, and EASY!:ban:

I would like to retract my statement above. I was ill-informed about the carb tabs, did a little more research and come to find out, you DO have to use yeast with the carb tabs... OOPS. I have a recipe for bottled Root Beer though. I will post it soon.

kyleaubu said:
I would like to retract my statement above. I was ill-informed about the carb tabs, did a little more research and come to find out, you DO have to use yeast with the carb tabs... OOPS. I have a recipe for bottled Root Beer though. I will post it soon.

Did you ever post that recipe? If so where?
Thanks

The SWMBO does not drink beer and in order to get a kegerator I had to promise her one tap would be root beer. I am going to try this tonight. She cannot have corn syrup, and most soda these days is sweetened with it so this will be very good for her!
I hope I can find those two roots around here at a specialty store.

I am very new to kegging in General. I have only had my beer on tap for a week and still trying to find what is the best carbing technique for me. I have read so many different ways of doing it. How do you carb up your root beer?

I put all beers/sodas on 30 psi for 24 hours and check. Some beers are ready, but it seems soda takes a bit longer (36 hours or so).

After that, I set it at 12psi and I am happy with the carb level: 12' of 3/16" hose out of all kegs.

You are right, as everyone has their own methods. This works for me.

Thanks for the help!

Update: So I made the root beer that day, and man is it good. Loved It! So easy and simple. I wasn’t able to get the Sassafras root; ended up using sarsaparilla root instead. My SWMBO loves sweet things so I put 2.0 pounds of white sugar instead of the 1.5. A little sweet but nothing to complain about, but next time I will follow recipe verbatim.

Thanks again!

It's debatable whether safrole is a significant carcinogen or not, and with all the other crap we are all exposed to on a regular basis I wouldn't be worried at all about drinking this. In fact, I'd love to try an authentic sassafras root beer.

Thanks for the recipe. :rockin:

You have to add yeast to bottle Carb. Be careful, though. Read up first!

Yikes. If you add yeast to a sweet beverage like root beer and then bottle, you're very likely to have exploding bottles and root beet all over the places. You need a method to stop fermentation at the appropriate point (like pasteurization.) Yes, read up first for sure.

kyleaubu said:
The easiest way to bottle carb soda is to just use Munton's Carb Tabs. Straight forward, to the point, and EASY!:ban:

I thought Munton's carb tabs were pre measured amounts of sugar.

You already have sugar in the root beer so you don't need to add any priming sugar or carb tabs if you're using yeast.

Keep in mind, that this recipe does not contain yeast. Carb tabs only work if something contains yeast...

Adding yeast to this recipe? I wouldn't. I would search out another one that is proven to taste good with yeast for carb'ing.

When I make soda, I just make everything and bottle it un-carbed, and store it in the fridge then when we're ready, i use a siphon for small amounts, but I use dry ice for large amounts. Just a pea size piece for a two liter bottle.

Where is everyone finding the ingredients for this recipe? I'm totally out of beer in my kegs but i like pulling pint every once in a while and this recipe takes no time at all to whip up.

i used to make a lot of root beer, i always used bread yeast for the carbonation, only let it sit out until the bottle got hard. Then i put it in the fridge to stop the fermentation, the alcohol content was low (at least based on the taste) and i never had a bottle evplode, but i normally vented it once a week just to be sure, it normally was gone within a couple of weeks though.

I brewed this up last thurs and kegged at midnight. Saturday at 3 pm was 39 hours at 30 psi then I dropped to 10 psi. Just tasted and the fluid is still flat, is that normal? What kind of time frame might it take to be drinkable?

When you mention sassafras root, are you referring to using an actual root? If so, I thought sassafras root was determined to be toxic long ago.

It is supposed to cause cancer but my Grandmother had sasafrass tea every day of her long life..........she died at 89. I think there is alot worse things that you can consume. I have sasafrass trees on my farm and I occasionally dig out roots and make tea on the stove.

I have done this recipe 2 times except I havent had access to Zatarains. The first time I used McCormicks which was OK in my opinion but all my friends and family liked it quite a bit and the 2nd time I used Watkins which was not as good as the first and the color was more tan than dark brown. I also added 1.5oz of pure vanilla extract to the 2nd batch. Think I am going to just have to order Zatarains cause I cannot find locally. I do like the vanilla addition. Any other extracts I should try?

I've made sweet bottled root beer before. what I did I got a 5% alcohol in the root beer then what I did was back sweetened it using a artificial sweetner like Splenda(it don't ferment)to the right sweetness. Then priming my batch with 2/3 cup of corn sugar and bottled. It never blew and I had a hard rootbeer.

The splenda thing don't work with kegging it, it just sinks to the bottom and turns sour.

Bk2X: are you using the Zatarains now, or something else?

I am always looking for better extracts, so let me know if you find something.

I found the zatarains extract on the zatarains web site for 2.00/4 oz bottle; 1.66 for 12 or more.

Is the sassafras root 2 oz fresh or dried?

Back