Mini Digital Temperature Controller on ebay question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
Hello,

I read the thread on the build using one of these units and it looks like a good buy. Before I buy one of these I wanted to make sure it is worth the time and money to buy, build and use but I'd hate then find out the hard way it is a mediocre product compared to some of the more popular controllers like the LOVE unit. I talked to the people at Dwyer instruments and the the guy told me to stay away from PVC/plastic thermistor which this one appears to have. The guy says they are junk and SS or brass is the way to go. I tend to trust their judgement since they sell many types, all the same price (10.00) and he recommeneded to stay away from PVC/plastic.

Those of you that have these can you please confirm (or deter that) it is a unit worth buying for a fermenter temp controller build....or should I spen the money and buy a LOVE controller.

Thanks for the help
Joe
!BgmKdtg!Wk~$(KGrHqQH-CwEsLtZ(HGIBLF5ykIz8!~~_35.JPG

Why would the PVC/Plastic matter if you're not boiling it?

I can understand as a controller for a boil kettle or anything (you'd need more amperage than these can handle anyway). There's no issue IMO. Maybe the heat transfer qualities? so this is +-.1*C off? So?

Mine is arriving today from ebay, Im going to stick it in my fridge and stick the thermo probe in a yeast vial full of ice pack goop, done and done.

There is no reason PVC would be any less effective at being a temperature probe than metal would be.

IMO

Mines been working a treat in my beer fridge. I'm very pleased so far and would get another if I needed one. I dont think I'd boil the probe, but at 40 deg F it works great. I also don't abuse/move the probe.

I built a two-stage controller using that controller and Androids instructions. It works great. I've had no problems. The probe is accurate. If I need another temperature controller, I'm going to buy and build another one.

The total amount I spent for the controller build was ~$50. Compare that to a Ranco two stage controller for ~$120.

Very cool! I think NoNothing hit it on the head when he said the guy may be referencing boiling the unit. I'm going for it. It seems like a great purchase and will build a two stage controller for my fermenter...Thank you guys for the help

I did have one question. Do you guys that use this controller just let the probe float in the fridge/freezer or do you have the probe in a jar of liquid to eliminate major temp differences?

Thanks

Joe

it has worked perfectly for my keezer control so far. i use a wad of paper towel folded and tape the probe up against one keg in my keezer underneath the paper towel (i need to start using reflective insulation or something, but the paper towel seems to be working fine), and that has kept temps from swinging too much. if you just let it float in the air, it will constantly be trying to heat and cool to maintain your differential.

it has worked perfectly for my keezer control so far. i use a wad of paper towel folded and tape the probe up against one keg in my keezer underneath the paper towel (i need to start using reflective insulation or something, but the paper towel seems to be working fine), and that has kept temps from swinging too much. if you just let it float in the air, it will constantly be trying to heat and cool to maintain your differential.

That will keep the compressor from running too much, but will allow larger temp swings, not smaller. The liquid is slower to react to the temp changes. You can do the same thing by just increasing your differential.

My plans are to submerge the probe in a jar of water (a few ounces).....might even use a SS container to mimick the sanke fermenters and corney kegs. I just ordered it. Once I get it and build my two stage controller I will probably bug you guys to school me on setting the differential(s) etc if thats cool?

Thanks
Joe

I have not heard anything bad about them and plan to get one also. Sadly I need to cold crash my fermenters and start conditioning my kegs so no time for the delivery from China and a build. I will probably still get one and make it up and then replace it when I get my act together.
$20? I want to be your bar tender. And don't forget the shipping and other materials. :mug:

And don't forget the shipping and other materials. :mug:

Other materials? Are you meaning for the controller or the whole keezer build? As I am in the process of collecting parts/planning my keezer build and wanted to use this controller as well. I thought for the controller bassically to do it on the cheap all you would need is a extension cord to cut in half and a box to keep it in and all the live cables safely out of the way. Is there anything else I am missing?

@mattd2 - Yeah there are a few other things but I think when it is all said and done it is closer to $40 than $20. Look at the thread referenced by the OP. There are also a lot of variations on how wild you can go with this. Let it be said I have not yet purchased or put this together. I am only taking what I have seen from other posts.

Where are you finding those temp controllers for $10 each?

I think the $10 was for the different probes (SS, PVC, etc.) not the whole controller.

Thanks Alchemy, yeah I have been meaning to read that thread. Now that I got a freezer I got some motivation to do some lunchtime reading :ban:
Yeah it the ebay controller is at least $35 after shipping is included, but still a pretty cost effective option.

$30.99 shipped if you buy it now. I just ordered mine today and plan to put it in an underground electronics box as I used for my control panel on my brew rig. I should be into it for ~50.00 when done. I plan to run a 15CF freezer with it and use a small fan/space heater during the winter. Should work great

Prices have come down some since this thread was started. Cheapest I'm seeing the dual stage is ~$19 shipped, but the single stage w/ SS probe can be found for ~$16 shipped.

im looking at these right now. How do you install them? do they just go into the power line of your freezer or what. i know that there are other thermostats that you just plug the freezer power into.

I have not heard anything bad about them and plan to get one also. Sadly I need to cold crash my fermenters and start conditioning my kegs so no time for the delivery from China and a build. I will probably still get one and make it up and then replace it when I get my act together.
$20? I want to be your bar tender. And don't forget the shipping and other materials. :mug:
The STC-1000 I ordered from China arrived in 8 days and was free freight. It was 23 bucks delivered. I am still in the process of building it, but have a really good schematic from this site to follow. Hope this helps make your decision.
Bob

im looking at these right now. How do you install them? do they just go into the power line of your freezer or what. i know that there are other thermostats that you just plug the freezer power into.

The easiest and most common way to do it is to wire it into a project box of some sort with an outlet. This way it functions just like the thermostats you're thinking of that the fridge/freezer plugs into. Here's a couple of threads that detail various ways to wire it up.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-fish-tank-controller-build-using-wal-mart-parts-261506/

Back