Found a great deal, but need some info.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corey_James

Reaction score
After getting my daily gross of freecycle e-mails I ran across one where a guy was getting rid of some of his old brewing equipment and bottles. When I got there, he had about 150 quart bottles, 2 20 gallon fermenting buckets and then he gave me 2 8 gallon oak barrels that he keep filled with water when not in use. He was a wine guy and only had red wine in each of them. What is the best way to clean them out and get them ready to accept beer? How do I find out if there is anything funky growing on the inside? I was thinking possibly doing a robust porter with a friend and age it in them. I am also thinking of doing a lambic in one of them.

:mug:

I have no experience here but seems like you could just dump in some cheap vodka and let sit for a bit to sanitize. Or whiskey for a better flavor.

There are sulfur sticks you light and toss in the barrel to sanitize.. but i imagine the sulfur will or could screw with beer flavor..

Back