Stuck ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zero

Reaction score
Got my first all-grain recipe in the primary, and it's off with a whimper thus far. OG was 1.053, which was pretty close to the 1.056 I was shooting for. I used a Wyeast 1272 American Ale 2 activator pack.

The smack pack didn't expand like the one on my previous patch, but reading here didn't discourage me too much, especially when I opened it and saw I had only broken one chamber of the nutrient pack, so I pitched it in.

First 24 hours were zilch/zip/nada. I figured my temp might be low (60 degrees where I had it), so I moved it up where it was warmer (around 65 now). It's still not bubbling out of the blow-off tube at all (48 hours in), but it does at least have maybe 1/4" of krausen formed on top now.

I suspect I had a weak yeast pack, and I also may have shocked it when I pitched, as I mis-read my stupid thermometer. Should I give it some more time, or pitch some more in?

LHBS is closed until tomorrow. I can either go get another 1272, or I have a pack of S-04 I could throw in there in a pinch.

Thoughts?

Sounds like you just had a longer lag time than you're used to. 48 hours is way too soon to start worrying, especially since there's krausen now - it should be fine, let the yeasties do their work.

Latest posts

Back