Hail!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorado_Carter

Reaction score
We had a pretty severe hail storm and I need some advice on how best to procede. Do I just let what is left of the vines continue growing or do I chop them at the base and see if anything might come up. I realize this years crop is a bust but I want to save the plants.

P5210228.jpg

P5210236.jpg

Just let them grow. They will send out new shoots and leaves from the leaf junctions. Make sure to water them and they will probably produce a crop this year.

Yep, just let them grow. If the leading tip broke off, then one of the side arms will become dominate. Train that and let it go. Its early enough that you may still have a shot at a harvest.

Search for "Hop farmer"...who is Glenn Fuller. He grows hops in CO and got hit hard by hail a year or two ago. He documented how he re-trained and managed to get a harvest. Chin up.

We had a pretty severe hail storm and I need some advice on how best to procede. Do I just let what is left of the vines continue growing or do I chop them at the base and see if anything might come up. I realize this years crop is a bust but I want to save the plants.

Wow..my sister jsut told me about the golf ball size hail they just had....they tore up 100$ of fresh planted flowers in 5 mins.... goodluck! They will grow back.

Its been about 2 1/2 weeks. They didn't keel over like I worried about. I didn't do anything to them except lots of water/fertilizer over the last few weeks. It seems to do the trick. i am starting to see plenty of side runners coming off the main stock, I'll give it another couple weeks and repost some pictures. Thanks Again

Back