Flat commercial beer: Carb myself, drink flat, return?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triocd

Reaction score
I bought a 4 pack of nice beer a couple days ago. The first 2 were totally flat, I'm betting the second two are as well. They taste normal, just 90% uncarbonated. The caps appear to be on right.

Should I add some priming sugar and yeast next time I bottle?

Suck it up and just drink them flat?

Return them?

Never had this happen before. If I carb them, how much sugar per bottle?

I would return them, or exchange. So no bubbles coming up from the beer, or just no head? I wouldn't carb them yourself, too much effort and it would change the flavor.

return. You don't usually see crap beer in 4 packs so it was likely expensive. Like 10-14 dollar range? The beer should be as it's supposed to be.

Return it. If you're feeling nice take the lot or batch number down from the packaging and email/call the brewery and let them know about your experience.

Yea, they were 10bucks, so I'm a bit disappointed. I'm nervous about returning them because if they open one and it happens to be fine, I'll feel like a dingbat.

There is no real head when poured, and a tiny amount of bubbles rising from the bottom. From my homebrewing experience it would be equivalent to bottling homebrew and then drinking them 2-3 days later. Reviews of the beer on beeradvocate say nice 2 finger head, so they aren't right.

I emailed the brewery and they said bring them by for an exchange, but it's a 45 minute drive so I'm not wasting my time with that.

When I had a funky beer from Stone, I e-mailed them and they UPSed me a freebie of the same beer with some stickers and a pint. Sucks that your guys want you to drive over there for it.

Yea, they were 10bucks, so I'm a bit disappointed. I'm nervous about returning them because if they open one and it happens to be fine, I'll feel like a dingbat.

There is no real head when poured, and a tiny amount of bubbles rising from the bottom. From my homebrewing experience it would be equivalent to bottling homebrew and then drinking them 2-3 days later. Reviews of the beer on beeradvocate say nice 2 finger head, so they aren't right.

I emailed the brewery and they said bring them by for an exchange, but it's a 45 minute drive so I'm not wasting my time with that.
Just reply and tell them it's 45 minutes away. It'd cost you the same in gas to just go buy another 4 pack, but you don't plan on doing that either as $10/4 pack beer should have better quality control and that you'll just chock it up lesson learned about 'X' brewery. Then see what he offers you :D

I'm not ready to out them yet, and I probably won't. I just called the store I bought them from so they said bring them down for an exchange. She said it's weird though. A quad should have a head, right? Both the brewery and the store said it might be the style of the beer. I've brewed tons of tripels and bought many more, they all have a nice fluffy head. Quads too, yes?

I returned them for another beer from the same brewery, but the girls behind the counter looked at me like I forgot to take some medication or something...

Back