Score... 11 sanke kegs just arrived

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMoreBeers

Reaction score
I was able to score 11 1/2 barrel kegs (10 SS and 1 black plastic). They just arrived and I now have some cleaning to do. I plan on keeping three for a new brew rig and two for fermentation tanks.

Anyone have thoughts on how I might use the other 6?

Let the spending begin on my new e-brewery. :ban:

I hope they aren't the Miller kegs with the screw in spear. They are a pain in the a$$

The other 6...turn'em into fermenters so you have more capacity, or use'em as kegs (15 gallons of homebrew on tap!)

Yeah they work great for fermenters. Sadly I used my three for my in progress electric setup but they were previously fermenters. It's hard to go back to plastic buckets at this point. I'll have to source some more here shortly.

i have the spears out of most of them, no screw tops.

Let the cleaning begin. I have a feeling these are going to take a while to clean. The plan is to invert them one at a time over a bucket and pound pump and let them run until they are clean. These kegs sat for about 2 years before i got them so they are a little sticky. The spears soaked for about 36 hours before they were clean.

I have new silicon O-Rings for all of the spears too.

Cut the tops of the extras, convert to keggles with stainless ball valve and sell for a profit to fund your setup!

Soak those guys in some extra hot Oxyclean solution prior to your pump idea. That should clear most of the gunk outta there.

If you are handy (and enjoy being handy), you could try to find people who would want a brew kettle/MLT/HLT and put all the custom fittings on it for them. I see those things being sold for big bucks no whammys and its not extremely expensive to build. If you are doing a bunch of them, you might be able to source some discounted parts.

Or just sell the kegs for 50 bucks a piece as is.

If you are handy (and enjoy being handy), you could try to find people who would want a brew kettle/MLT/HLT and put all the custom fittings on it for them. I see those things being sold for big bucks no whammys and its not extremely expensive to build. If you are doing a bunch of them, you might be able to source some discounted parts.

Or just sell the kegs for 50 bucks a piece as is.

Piecing a weldless valve setup from McMaster, Murray Equipment and EBAY cost me ~$23 that are just like Kal's, cheaper than any prebuilt kit on the internet with extra shim and spare o-rings.

Most places sell keggles for around $150 and up. You can build a basic one for cost of keg ($30-$50) and weldless setup ($23) and sell for ~$120 and make a decent profit while still offering savings to someone else for 20 minutes of work.

Interested in selling one? There is ONE Sankey keg available within 500 miles of me, and dude wants 130 bucks for it.

Aww duuuuude awesome!

Okay, so if you're really trying to go crazy I would put tri-clover fittings on the three kegs for the rig. Then, for the kegs you will turn into fermentation vessels, weld some legs to the top of it so it can sit upside-down like a conical. Then put a tri-clover into the fitting at the bottom for racking-in and dumping trub, and a regular barb fitting slightly higher (again, like in a conical) so you can rack finished beer off the yeast cake!

Back