How does this look for a barleywine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sithdad

Reaction score
2.5 gal batch doing a full boil

3.5# Maris Otter
4 oz Crystal 60L
4 oz Crystal 120L
3.3 # LME
2# Golden DME

3oz EKG 5% aa (53 IBU)

Wyeast Irish Ale 1084 (making a 1 L starter)

Planning on mashing at 150F for 60 min.

I come up with 1.124 starting OG.

This will be my first attempt at an English barley wine. I am shooting for something on the sweeter side. I am undecided about adding some bourbon and oak chips.

Wyeast Irish Ale 1084 has an alcohol tolerance of 10%, so it will probably quit early and leave you with something sweet. Sounds about right.

I haven't done the calculation, but I suspect you need a bigger starter than that. I've heard Jamil say at least twice, "If you pitch enough healthy yeast, just about any strain can ferment up to around 15%."

And since you're looking for a super-malty beer, why not consider Wyeast 1968 or WLP002? I find these yeasts boost the malty perception in whatever beer I use them in. Without any late hops, you'll really want a lot of malt complexity in this beer and I think this strain can get it for you. The 1084 has some maltiness too, but I'd put it between the cleanness of 1056 and the maltiness of 1968.

And finally, even though you want something sweeter, I think you should bump up the IBUs to around 65-80. The bitterness will fade with time and you'll be left with a much sweeter beer even after only a year.

I wouldn't do the bourbon/oak until you taste the regular outcome of this recipe. If it makes a great barleywine, try it next time with the bourbon/oak.

I'd personally mash a little higher (154-155), but I like mine super malty-sweet.

I wouldn't do the bourbon/oak until you taste the regular outcome of this recipe. If it makes a great barleywine, try it next time with the bourbon/oak.

I'd personally mash a little higher (154-155), but I like mine super malty-sweet.

That's what was keeping me from doing the oak & bourbon right from the start. I have never had a barley wine nor have I made one, so I wasn't sure how it would come out. Maybe I'll try a little higher mash temp, probably not as high you, but close.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Back