Carboy styro shipping container as insulation jacket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sea2summit3

Reaction score
I just scored a $20, 7-gal glass carboy on craigslist that came with a custom styrofoam shipping container. :ban: I'm figuring I can use it as a insulation jacket. Any ideas on how to integrate a simple thermometer into the sytrofoam to monitor fermentation temp? I'm assuming the small airspace that exits between the carboy and shipping container would equalize to the same temperature as the wort. Would a simple "Good Cook"-like probe thermometer stuck into the side give accurate readings?

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

I don't know that simply having insulation is going to do much for your temperature control. If your temperatures rise or drop outside of your range how do you plan on getting them back within tolerance?

I've got a laundry room that consistantly stays about 66 (now that its gotten colder) I was thinking the heat released during fermentation might keep it a couple degrees warmer if it had insulation. If it were to drop out of range I suppose I would just let it ferment at a lower temp. The room stays pretty consitant though.

I would say if the room is staying consistently at 66 I would simply ferment without the stryofoam container. 66F is a decent temp for most ales when you consider the true fermentation temp in the fermentor is going to be ~5F above this. I wouldn't want to ferment higher than this by trapping the heat with the styrofoam. I try to keep most my ales at 62F ambient and therefore ~67F inside.

I would say if the room is staying consistently at 66 I would simply ferment without the stryofoam container. 66F is a decent temp for most ales when you consider the true fermentation temp in the fermentor is going to be ~5F above this. I wouldn't want to ferment higher than this by trapping the heat with the styrofoam. I try to keep most my ales at 62F ambient and therefore ~67F inside.

+1. 66 is on the high end for ambient air temp for most ale yeasts. Don't want to trap any more heat.

Good point... but I've got to figure out something to do with this awesome chunk of styrofoam!

Back