Flaked Corn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBBF

Reaction score
Has it been confirmed whether flaked corn is safe to use or is there a cross contamination issue?

I have the same question, and have never felt confident getting flaked corn online...not knowing how it has been handeled.

I reciently bought a bag of Maseca brand instant Masa.
It is nixtamilized corn flour that is available at any grocery store and costs about $1 / lb.
I have made tortillas with it many times, and it clearly has a lower gelitinization temperature than regular corn flour would...It seems like it would make a great brewing adjunct.
I will use 1lb in my next batch of beer, I will report back when I have results.

I have made popcorn with an air popper and used that as my corn adjunct. It worked, but I currently hav a 25lb sack of flaked corn and it would be so much easier to use if the risk was minimal.

Hard to say, really. I believe there is a test you can do for beers made with clarity ferm. Maybe you can use the same test to test your corn. I don't know who does it or the cost. I know that at Bobs Red Mill in Portland, Oregon they have dedicated equipment and facilities to keep cross contamination from happening. Their organic oats aren't certified GF because of cross contamination by upstream suppliers even though oats are inherently GF. So, is corn for that matter. So, my guess is most corn is cross contaminated beyond acceptable limits. But, unless certified GF, or you have it tested yourself, you couldn't really have confidence in knowing it was truly GF. Good luck with your corn. :)

Back