Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never smoked a pipe, but recall a Scoutmaster of German descent that always smoked one. I love the smell of pipe tobacco; so much more aromatic than cigarette or cigar smoke. I have smoked less than a half dozen cigarettes and even fewer cigars in my day - even a highly rated genuine Cuban one - meh. Not my thing. Not a coffee guy either really, tea is more my bit.

Everyone is vaping these days, which will one day be proven to be *worse* than smoking somehow...

I can appreciate good pipes for their ornamental value.

Never smoked a pipe, but recall a Scoutmaster of German descent that always smoked one. I love the smell of pipe tobacco; so much more aromatic than cigarette or cigar smoke. I have smoked less than a half dozen cigarettes and even fewer cigars in my day - even a highly rated genuine Cuban one - meh. Not my thing. Not a coffee guy either really, tea is more my bit.

Everyone is vaping these days, which will one day be proven to be *worse* than smoking somehow...

I can appreciate good pipes for their ornamental value.
I enjoy a great tea myself. there are a great number of antique tyrolean pipes I would love to get my hands on for nothing more than ornamental value.

so I have 2 uncut & undrilled blocks of meerschaum.

And you're going to carve one of them into a likeness of yourself receiving a berry-punch (probably need to take a couple close-up photos of the actual act in order to get the expression right - multiple takes for multiple angles of course) and then share photos of yourself smoking it while getting berry-punched.

Say, can we get a GoFundMe going to make this actually happen? What's it gonna take? :pipe:

I will occasionally smoke a pipe, but I find that while I prefer the second-hand aroma of pipe smoke, I prefer the taste of smoking a good cigar to the taste of smoking a pipe.

I will occasionally smoke a pipe, but I find that while I prefer the second-hand aroma of pipe smoke, I prefer the taste of smoking a good cigar to the taste of smoking a pipe.

There are so many different pipe tobaccos I would imagine you just haven't found the right one for you yet. If you prefer cigars stay away from aromatics and explore Virginia, English, and burley blends. Virginia blends will tend to be grassy with some citrus notes, English blends will be full flavored and smokey, and burley blends will be somewhat nutty with a subtle spice. A general rule of thumb with pipes (and there are always exceptions) is that if it smells good it tastes bad and vice versa.

There are so many different pipe tobaccos I would imagine you just haven't found the right one for you yet. If you prefer cigars stay away from aromatics and explore Virginia, English, and burley blends. Virginia blends will tend to be grassy with some citrus notes, English blends will be full flavored and smokey, and burley blends will be somewhat nutty with a subtle spice. A general rule of thumb with pipes (and there are always exceptions) is that if it smells good it tastes bad and vice versa.

+1 to this, and one other thing, it's all in the snork! Pull the smoke into your mouth and push it out through your sinuses slowly to get the full flavor.

I'd recommend an aged burley or a Virginia Perique blend to a cigar smoker

Here is my latest.

Starting on a new one tonight. Monsoon season is finally here. Nothing better than sitting out watching the storms in the mountains with a good pipe and a beer.

img_20170714_175807-68238.jpg

img_20170714_175644-68239.jpg

img_20170714_175638-68240.jpg

img_20170730_175229-68295.jpg

Started another one.

Wife also approved growing tobacco for next year. It will have to be limited to the a garden. The downside of living in the desert is I've got 15 acres of land but I can pretty much just grow cactus and buffalo grass.

img_20170730_175229-68295.jpg

Started another one.

Wife also approved growing tobacco for next year. It will have to be limited to the a garden. The downside of living in the desert is I've got 15 acres of land but I can pretty much just grow cactus and buffalo grass.

what shape you aiming for?

I got my seeds from http://sustainableseedco.com/

what shape you aiming for?

I got my seeds from http://sustainableseedco.com/

I think an apple. Its got a chunk out of the top and bottom I have to incorporate but it should work out. I wanted to make a poker but the wood didn't go along with it.

Cut the $%& out of myself while shaping it after the picture. I've been carving and whittling since I was a kid and this is the worst cut yet!

I think an apple. Its got a chunk out of the top and bottom I have to incorporate but it should work out. I wanted to make a poker but the wood didn't go along with it.

Cut the $%& out of myself while shaping it after the picture. I've been carving and whittling since I was a kid and this is the worst cut yet!

scheisse passiert. I flerped up my first Morta. it split in the shank (damn linear grain!) and just kept splitting all the way to the bowl.

Yeah along the same lines, I tried to make a thin walled small billiard and hit a run of sand pits. I got it to work but the shank isn't square to the bowl now so it's been sitting in the drawer. I could probably turn a bit to make it look ok but that isn't something I've done yet. It would probably make a good short nose warmer ifni could pull it off.

Hey all! First post in the pipe thread... I've smoked cigars for years, but about a year ago my son bought me a corncob pipe and I gave it a shot. I am now a full fledged pipe smoker. I bought a couple of cheap briars and enjoy smoking them, but I wanted to expand my collection and rotation and since new pipes are so expensive, I decided to buy some estate pipes on ebay and restore them.

This is the first that I have tackled. It is a Marxsman Super Briar Pocket Pipe. that I got for about 12 buck. It was made before 1953, probably in the mid 40s. It was in decent shape, but I decided to go beyond a deep cleaning. I gave the stem an Oxyclean soak and sanded and buffed out the oxidation and then removed the old wax and rewaxed the stummel. I've smoked it a couple of times and I really like it.

Not too shabby for under 15 bucks and a couple of hours of work...

IMAG0267.jpg

IMAG0284.jpg

IMAG0282.jpg

I did a quick clean up on the pipe with when I first got it with alcohol, pipe cleaners and q-tips so I could smoke it to see how it smoked. It smoked fine, but about halfway through, I realized there was a taste to it that was familiar. After some thought, I realized that it tasted just like I remember my Great Grandmother's house smelling when I visited her back in the early 60's. I don't remember if my Great Grandfather smoked a pipe or not, he died when I was pretty young, but I am guessing he did, and the tobacco he smoked was the same that the person that owned this pipe smoked?

I did an alcohol (vodka) and salt soak to remove the ghost. It did the job and I only taste my tobacco now.

IMAG0271.jpg

I did a quick clean up on the pipe with when I first got it with alcohol, pipe cleaners and q-tips so I could smoke it to see how it smoked. It smoked fine, but about halfway through, I realized there was a taste to it that was familiar. After some thought, I realized that it tasted just like I remember my Great Grandmother's house smelling when I visited her back in the early 60's. I don't remember if my Great Grandfather smoked a pipe or not, he died when I was pretty young, but I am guessing he did, and the tobacco he smoked was the same that the person that owned this pipe smoked?

I did an alcohol (vodka) and salt soak to remove the ghost. It did the job and I only taste my tobacco now.
you should visit us at https://thebriarpatchforum.com/forum some time.

I now have a decent variety of tobaccos in the cellar. a bunch of Escudo in for the long haul as well as Peterson's 3P Perfect Plug. been sluggish on making new pipes. I need to get off my butt.

I now have a decent variety of tobaccos in the cellar. a bunch of Escudo in for the long haul as well as Peterson's 3P Perfect Plug. been sluggish on making new pipes. I need to get off my butt.
Yeah you do. Next time you want cigars we should swap sticks for a pipe!

I recently got back into pipe smoking. I've got about a dozen "estate pipes" I picked up off eBay. I was into it a while back but I had no idea what I was doing. It was all a matter of saving money over cigars and seeing how much smoke I could generate. Now I smoke a lot slower and cooler and enjoy the tobacco. Just finished a bowl before I found saw thread.

"A pipe gives a wise man something to do while he's thinking and a fool something to put in his mouth".

I can't remember to whom that quote is attributed.

I smoked a pipe for about 30 years. Quit about 15 years ago; don't really miss it.

Mark

I checked the briarpatch yesterday and joined. Looks like a good place with good people.

I've been trying all kinds of different tobaccos, It seems that I like to change it up a lot and haven't really settled on an every day blend, although I bought a pound of Lane 1Q and tend to grab a quick bowl of that often when I take the dog out. I have about ten different briars now and have them "kinda" dedicated to different types of tobaccos. I usually grab a pipe based on what I feel like smoking, but sometimes I grab a tobacco based on the pipe I want to smoke. Ha!

I recently got back into pipe smoking. I've got about a dozen "estate pipes" I picked up off eBay. I was into it a while back but I had no idea what I was doing. It was all a matter of saving money over cigars and seeing how much smoke I could generate. Now I smoke a lot slower and cooler and enjoy the tobacco. Just finished a bowl before I found saw thread.

I have bought a handful of estate pipes on Ebay-mostly cheaper pipes that were in rough shape so I could work on my restoration skills. I got a couple of beat up Brewster coupon pipes for about 10 bucks that had serious stem issues and restored them. I started using one for cherry aromatics (I've settled on Lane Very Cherry for when I want to go that way) and it is a great smoker and turning into one of my favorite pipes. P&C runs a special every now and then on unfinished Savinelli for 50 bucks. I got a large bent brandy and love it so much a bought another, a bent Dublin. Both are great smokers.

My favorite cheap Brewster
IMAG0321.jpg
IMAG0322.jpg
IMAG0298.jpg
IMAG0309.jpg

This one had an over severely oxidized, over-clocked stem that I had to clean up and reset. The briar was dark and filthy and it was almost closed off with cake. When I finished it, I gave it to my son.
IMAG0329.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah you do. Next time you want cigars we should swap sticks for a pipe!
that can definitely be arranged!

you should join us over at The Patch as well!

I checked the briarpatch yesterday and joined. Looks like a good place with good people.

I've been trying all kinds of different tobaccos, It seems that I like to change it up a lot and haven't really settled on an every day blend, although I bought a pound of Lane 1Q and tend to grab a quick bowl of that often when I take the dog out. I have about ten different briars now and have them "kinda" dedicated to different types of tobaccos. I usually grab a pipe based on what I feel like smoking, but sometimes I grab a tobacco based on the pipe I want to smoke. Ha!

I have bought a handful of estate pipes on Ebay-mostly cheaper pipes that were in rough shape so I could work on my restoration skills. I got a couple of beat up Brewster coupon pipes for about 10 bucks that had serious stem issues and restored them. I started using one for cherry aromatics (I've settled on Lane Very Cherry for when I want to go that way) and it is a great smoker and turning into one of my favorite pipes. P&C runs a special every now and then on unfinished Savinelli for 50 bucks. I got a large bent brandy and love it so much a bought another, a bent Dublin. Both are great smokers.

My favorite cheap Brewster
View attachment 553670 View attachment 553675View attachment 553671View attachment 553672

This one had an over severely oxidized, over-clocked stem that I had to clean up and reset. The briar was dark and filthy and it was almost closed off with cake. When I finished it, I gave it to my son.
View attachment 553676
nice work! glad you joined (like any of us need another forum. hahahhaa!!!) I think y'all get bonus points for mentioning how awesomely awesome I am. hahhaha!!

Wow. Has it really been over four years since anybody posted here? Time has flown pretty fast since move to Hawaii, but I missed four years since the last post.
Last one I see is by Arturo71 in January 2014. Is that correct?

Wow. Has it really been over four years since anybody posted here? Time has flown pretty fast since move to Hawaii, but I missed four years since the last post.
Last one I see is by Arturo71 in January 2014. Is that correct?

Last post is January 2018 by Arturo7. Post #1874.

A bunch of them in August 2017 and a few more in January 2018.

Pipe smoking is not for me. But the second hand aroma is better than cigars. And cigarette smoke makes me gag!!!

I don’t know what happened. I checked this place out awhile back and the last post was years ago. Reloaded the page same thing. Glad this thread still up and running

Happy Thanksgiving to you all! Eat and drink and enjoy this day!

Back