Late extract additions with a full boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

29thfloor

Reaction score
I've recently started doing full boils and have been adding all the extract at the beginning, even when a recipe calls for a late addition. My thinking was that the late addition was suggested only because the recipe is a partial boil recipe.

For a higher gravity beer would it still make sense to hold some of the extract until the end or would it not make much difference? I'm thinking for a recipe that includes 8-12 lbs of extract I could add 6 lb at the beginning and the rest at the end. Am I over-thinking this?

Late extract addition also has to do with the fact that extract has already undergone the boiling process. So unless adding it fulfills some other function there's no need.

I guess what I'm asking is if there is any benefit from a late addition when you're doing a full boil? It's a lot easier to just add everything at the beginning so that's what I've been doing. I add the wort chiller to the kettle towards the end of the boil so adding more extract at that point is a little more annoying.

By adding late you will get higher hop bittering utilization.

Also, I feel that the 60 mins tends to cause a melanoiden(SP?) reaction. Which causes a carmalized, fuller bodied, darker beer.

Sent from my Android, please excuse my grammar.

I guess what I'm asking is if there is any benefit from a late addition when you're doing a full boil?

Palmer has mentioned when you boil extract you will drop out more of the proteins that are responsible for head retention. I guess that works if you're looking for a headless clear beer.

Now you know the arguments, try it both ways and see what works for you.

Back