"Does This Look Infected To You?" Thread number #53676478367831684

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMGfan

Reaction score
Hey folks,

You all have been SUPER helpful in the past and I'm probably concerned over nothing, but I figure I'll bring it to you the experienced brewers for thoughts.

Here's the timeline of the beer:
-My 3rd batch, first two went smoothly and exactly as expected despite a bit of difficulty with temp control.

-This beer is the Coopers Irish stout kit, done with 1kg of DME and a bit of dextrose to bring the SG to 1.05 (I can't find my notes anywhere so I'm working off memory here). Yeast was the included stout yeast.

-I started the kit, after a week I check the SG and it had only moved ~10 points or so, I was concerned it stalled so I repitched with the only yeast I had around, a standard coopers ale yeast.

-Life got in the way and the beer sat in the primary bucket in a swamp cooler (water only, no ice) for ~2 months. I went to bottle tonight and I found a layer of scum on top of the beer I've never seen before. Looked like yeast cake, quite hearty in meat and body and fairly thin.

-Taking Revvy's and everyone else's advice into account I tasted it and it tasted fine (in fact pretty good!), but there were all these floaties in it that were pretty gross for mouth feel wise

-Rather than bottle it ask risk bombs when I have to leave home for a month, I just racked it to a secondary and came this way for advice. As I racked it I noticed a lot of the same scum was built up on the side of the bucket as well.

Sadly I didn't take any pictures of the top scum but the attached pictures of the remnants are a little concerning to me. Yes I know any concern is probably over reacting, but I'd rather be a bit cautious than deal with flying glass everywhere :p

Thanks in advance guys for any thoughts you might have on what this stuff is. (my main thought right now is over pitched yeast from the "stalled" ferment)
-David

100_0598.jpg

100_0599.jpg

100_0600.jpg

Thanks guys, I'm glad to have confirmation I was pretty sure it wasn't as it tasted ok. :)

So what is this sh....er...stuff? And how do I get it out of my beer? Will it just drop out eventually given enough time?

It just looks like you've racked the beer and now need to clean the fermentor. :D

If there's an infection, there's nothing in these pictures to suggest it!

I'd be more worried about that it looks a bit pale for a stout. ;)

Without seeing what the wort looked for before you racked I honestly wouldn't be comfortable telling you it was not infected. The only batches I have ever had with that streakiness were ones with pectiles, both intentionally and unintentionally infected...

And the chutes in the "Recycling toilets" on the private islands I worked on looked like that... :D

I've lost all hope in humanity after this is my empty bucket infected thread.

Back