Fizzy yellow beer is a hit!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a "fizzy yellow beer", an ale at cool temperatures, just for this weekend. We're out at the cottage, and I have two kegs sitting ready My brother in law, who loves Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss tried the "FYB". He declared it "the best beer you've EVER made!"

I knew it would be a hit! But, really. The best beer I've ever made? This beer is clear, yellow, and relatively flavorless. No fruitiness, and very little hops flavor. I said, "Thank you! I knew you'd like it- I brewed it especially for you!" He said that he hoped I had more, because only 5 gallons of that wouldn't be enough for the weekend. This is the guy who said that my other beers were "good" or "all right".

I will have to put this recipe in the database, as a light hybrid beer. It really is good, for a lawnmower beer.

No, that's not the thread! I posted the recipe later on, but nobody ever claimed it!

It did clear beautifully- I didn't use any finings at all- just left the keg in the fridge for a couple of weeks, then transferred it to a new keg. This morning, I brought the keg out to the cottage and put it on ice and set up a picnic tap. It's totally clear, sediment free and pretty to look at.

I think the keg of Irish red will be more popular tomorrow, when the rest of the guests come. We'll be playing ladder golf and fishing and kayaking and paddleboating, followed by a big fish fry with all kinds of food.

I also brought out about 5 kinds of homemade cheese, and several nice homemade wines. We have homemade bread, and lots of great food. Still, it's really all about the beer!

No, that's not the thread! I posted the recipe later on, but nobody ever claimed it!

It did clear beautifully- I didn't use any finings at all- just left the keg in the fridge for a couple of weeks, then transferred it to a new keg. This morning, I brought the keg out to the cottage and put it on ice and set up a picnic tap. It's totally clear, sediment free and pretty to look at.

I think the keg of Irish red will be more popular tomorrow, when the rest of the guests come. We'll be playing ladder golf and fishing and kayaking and paddleboating, followed by a big fish fry with all kinds of food.

I also brought out about 5 kinds of homemade cheese, and several nice homemade wines. We have homemade bread, and lots of great food.
Still, it's really all about the beer!

OMG, can I come?!:D

I know you were kidding, but.......................

EVERYBODY is always invited. Always. We even have a listing on "couchsurfing.com", where we offer up accomodations to travelers. We've had some interesting charact, er, visitors, that way!

Everybody on HBT always makes up lame excuses about it being a 20 hour drive for them. But, if you're ever in Chicago and feel like driving another 6 hours north, the cottage and lake are a welcoming place.

Dogs and kids also welcomed!

I tried to invite the Wisconsin gang up here, and the Michigan Mashers, for "brew camp", but no takers!

It really is good, for a lawnmower beer.

Good, cause im getting sick of my lawnmower knocking down my door for a beer when I finish using it. It almost reminds me of the Swiffer commercials, except this is a lawnmower that is stalking me instead of a broom or mop. That bastard drank the last of my other 2 batches when I wasnt looking either! (At least thats who Im gonna blame when I run out from now on)
-Me

Yooper, I wish you'd feed some FYB to the Red Wings so they lose once or twice!!:p

I know you were kidding, but.......................

EVERYBODY is always invited. Always. We even have a listing on "couchsurfing.com", where we offer up accomodations to travelers. We've had some interesting charact, er, visitors, that way!

Everybody on HBT always makes up lame excuses about it being a 20 hour drive for them. But, if you're ever in Chicago and feel like driving another 6 hours north, the cottage and lake are a welcoming place.

Dogs and kids also welcomed!

I tried to invite the Wisconsin gang up here, and the Michigan Mashers, for "brew camp", but no takers!

That's very gracious of you :mug: I wish I could come - that sounds perfect. Have a great weekend

When I read your post, I had to laugh... my most "famous" beer was a Czech Pilsner that was fairly plain (Based on JZ's recipe). I have brewed some great beers, but to have that pilsner be the most requested kinda' broke my heart.

However, congrats on the lager! I got over my heartache by drinking another of my IIPA's!

I've been planning on trying a super dry FYB SMaSH with 2-row, a little crystal, and beano. Looking forward to it actually. I've been craving something lighter that I can just drink like water.

Brewing a clean, clear, and balanced light beer is probably one of the most difficult things to do, so 'grats!

What yeast did you use and how low did you go?

I remember the thread where you extended invitation to Michigan mashers. I actually joined that group to be invited :D But could not make, because, I mean C'mon, it's like 20 hours away! But seriously, congrats on pleasing the masses. I stopped trying to do that because with my limited brew schedule I found I wasn't making the beers I actaully wanted, just what I thought people would generally like. But maybe someday if I get a huge pipeline built up. But I'm doing my first party brews and saying screw it, and making 10 Gallons of Moose Drool, and 10 (more)Gallons of Phat Tire clone.

Brewing a clean, clear, and balanced light beer is probably one of the most difficult things to do, so 'grats!

What yeast did you use and how low did you go?

I used S05, and fermented it right at 62 degrees for about 14 days, then racked to a keg. It sat at 66 degrees, then went into the kegerator for a couple of weeks. The weekend is over, but that keg was empty by Saturday evening. The rest of the weekend, they were stuck drinking Irish red.

Yooper don't offer unless you really mean it for we are leeches and will come.

Oh, all of you leeches are always welcome.

Way to go Lorena.

While the light fizzy stuff isn't a mainstay for me personally, it has sure converted more neighbors, family and friends to the "pros" of homebrewing than any other beer.

We killed a keg and a half on Saturday of my "Wifey Pooh" ale.

10# of grain for an 11 gallon batch? :D

I guess we're destined to have some low gravity beers on tap all the time now.

Way to go Lorena.

While the light fizzy stuff isn't a mainstay for me personally, it has sure converted more neighbors, family and friends to the "pros" of homebrewing than any other beer.

We killed a keg and a half on Saturday of my "Wifey Pooh" ale.

10# of grain for an 11 gallon batch? :D

I guess we're destined to have some low gravity beers on tap all the time now.

I will be waiting to see the recipe... Sounds like one for the masses!

I just posted the recipe- if you look, you'll see that I got 75% efficiency, and 85% attenuation, giving me a 6% ABV beer. It went down well, though, and no one seemed to notice that it wasn't a 4.5% beer like I initially planned! Maybe that's why it was so good, though- it had some flavor, and it was very nicely balanced with the malt and hops.

I don't think this will qualify as a "wifey-pooh" ale, Biermuncher! I mean, at our house, a "wifey pooh" ale would be an IIPA with extra dryhopping. But, you know, that is a brilliant idea! A HUGE IIPA and call it "girly beer".

Now that you have conquered the BMC challenge I would like to see you take 1 pound of prime black angus and turn it into a Big Mac please. ;)

Now that you have conquered the BMC challenge I would like to see you take 1 pound of prime black angus and turn it into a Big Mac please. ;)

Now, that's just not something I could do! I haven't had a Big Mac in at least 20 years, maybe longer.

I do have standards, you know! They're low, but I have them.

I brewed up Biermunchers Centennial Blonde a few weeks back and put it on tap. Had some of my wife's relatives over for her grandpa's internment on Sat and my Blonde got good reviews. FIL said it was very good. Wife's cousin had three tall glasses and had to have his girlfriend drive him home. Even my friend who only drinks beer for his health liked it and said he could make that and enjoy it all the time (he's my brewing buddy, so I may have HIM do the brewing next time and he can keep the beer!)

My FIL is getting to the point where he will try an IPA and say it's not bad.

And Yooper, whereabouts are you? I could plan a stop by this summer if we get up that way! I've been wanting to head up north and go west in the UP for some time.

I brewed up Biermunchers Centennial Blonde a few weeks back and put it on tap. Had some of my wife's relatives over for her grandpa's internment on Sat and my Blonde got good reviews. FIL said it was very good. Wife's cousin had three tall glasses and had to have his girlfriend drive him home. Even my friend who only drinks beer for his health liked it and said he could make that and enjoy it all the time (he's my brewing buddy, so I may have HIM do the brewing next time and he can keep the beer!)

My FIL is getting to the point where he will try an IPA and say it's not bad.

And Yooper, whereabouts are you? I could plan a stop by this summer if we get up that way! I've been wanting to head up north and go west in the UP for some time.

In the central UP, about 5 hours west of the Bridge. You are always invited!

Latest posts

Back