Convert AG to Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
Can anyone point me to where I can figure out how to convert an all grain recipe to a DME and steep recipe?

Thanks!

Depending on the recipe you can just replace the base malt with enough DME or LME to make up the gravity for the recipe. However some grains need to be mashed and can't be used in a straight extract with steeping grains recipes.

If you post the recipe I'm sure someone can help with the conversion.

Thanks!

I was thinking of converting Edworts haus pale ale because it has received such amazing praise around here.

I am worried about offending the all grainers though.

bradsul said:
There's no offense to be taken, don't worry! Have you looked through the recipe post? I'd be surprised if nobody had posted an extract version yet.

Yes, there is a partial mash but I am only in to extract plus steeping grains. Id like to use DME and Steep is possible. I also do full boils.

Here it is,

8lbs 2 -row
2lbs - vienna
.5lb crystal 10l

You could lose all the 2-row for DME and just steep the vienna and crystal. You won't get any fermentables out of the vienna but you can make up the difference with the DME anyway. Since you're doing full boils the hops additions wouldn't change at all.

I would just pop it into your favourite recipe program, remove the 2row and add the lightest DME you can until you hit the OG of the recipe.

bradsul said:
You could lose all the 2-row for DME and just steep the vienna and crystal. You won't get any fermentables out of the vienna but you can make up the difference with the DME anyway. Since you're doing full boils the hops additions wouldn't change at all.

I would just pop it into your favourite recipe program, remove the 2row and add the lightest DME you can until you hit the OG of the recipe.

Unfortunately I dont have a recipe program... I will then assume I need only to convert the 2 row to DME.

That said, if i use the formula x=(51*5.5)/44 i get that I need 6.4 lbs of DME which is for X..

Does that sound right?

Latest posts

Back