Best place to buy kits online

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations? My local supplier's stuff is past its expiry date, and he doesn't have the kits I want to try. I've heard good things about Coopers Wheat, and I'd like to try experimenting with yeasts if anyone has any recommendations.

Really, I didn't know that.

I buy supplies from B3, I'm a sucker for the free shipping. I buy base ingredients instead of kits, but they have plenty of kits to try.

I've been making a lot of Cooper's kits...Stout, Real Ale, and Bitter so far. Can anyone recommend another brand of no-boil kits? The only other one I've tried is Brewferm's Christmas Ale, which is pretty decent after 5 months of aging.

Richard said:
I've been making a lot of Cooper's kits...Stout, Real Ale, and Bitter so far. Can anyone recommend another brand of no-boil kits? The only other one I've tried is Brewferm's Christmas Ale, which is pretty decent after 5 months of aging.

Why do you want no-boil kits? You will really open up your possibilities when you move beyond no-boils.

As an aside, I just brewed this past weekend a Coopers LME Wheat kit. I added, per the label, some DME (weiss), dextrose, and some hops. I just tested the gravity tonight after three days in the primary and got to taste the juice. Its EXCEPTIONALLY good already, and has lots of great color.

Good luck, I am reading this thread with interest as I like to do specialty grains with either LME or DME kits.

Greg

Bobby M and Beerific -
I'd love to delve into all grain brewing, but I just don't have the time right now. My life is so busy I have to stick with the quick and easy stuff. So far everything I've made has turned out well.

Richard said:
Bobby M and Beerific -
I'd love to delve into all grain brewing, but I just don't have the time right now. My life is so busy I have to stick with the quick and easy stuff. So far everything I've made has turned out well.

There is HUGE difference between going all grain and getting a kit that requires a boil.

The kits that AHS sells require you to steep some grains (about a pound) in 150degree water for 30 mins in about 2.5 gallons of water. Add some extract, hops, and boil for 60 mins, top up to 5 gallons and ferment.

Using these kits you can make literally any kind of beer. This will really let you explore the ingredients.

So all you really need is a 12 qt pot.

Just wanted to chime in with my vote for AHS. Although I have not yet gotten to sample any of the beers from their kits (first one as early as this weekend), the two that I have made so far came with great ingredients. Hopefully I'll get to sample the lemongrass wheat mini-mash I bought from there while making their Belgian Wit this weekend. :)

Richard said:
Should I pay extra for shipping if I want some liquid yeast? I don't want it getting ruined on the way.

Nah, get the ice andit should be fine. There is another thread here discussing that, I haven't heard anyone say they have ever had any trouble.

You can help the liquid yeast by making a starter 2-3 days before you plan on brewing. This will give your yeast a head start before they get dumped into the wort. Check the Wiki or one of the numerous threads on how to do this, very easy, you will just want to order a pound of light or extra light dry malt extract (DME) that will be enough for a few starters.

If you need any help choosing a kit let us know.

:mug:

I picked the AHS American IPA II. I have some of my own yeast packets that I need to use up, so I decided against the liquid yeast for now. I'll make a starter though.

Richard said:
I picked the AHS American IPA II. I have some of my own yeast packets that I need to use up, so I decided against the liquid yeast for now. I'll make a starter though.

You could save some $$ and use dry yeast, especially with an IPA. If you have dry yeast, they don't need starters.

You can read all about it here:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html

BTW, How to Brew (HTB) is a great resource for step-by-step instructions. AHS give one sheet of instructions, HTB will give you the details.

Beerrific said:
You could save some $$ and use dry yeast, especially with an IPA. If you have dry yeast, they don't need starters.

You can read all about it here:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html

BTW, How to Brew (HTB) is a great resource for step-by-step instructions. AHS give one sheet of instructions, HTB will give you the details.

Which yeast would you use out of Fermentis, Muntons, or Coopers?

I've had lots of good results with fermentis, for an American IPA I would use safeale US-05.
That's not to imply the others are inferior, I just haven't used them. All are quality names and any should work well.

Back