Amount of lees in batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsmith179

Reaction score
Quick question for you all... I'm going to be making my first batches of mead with my Dad coming up here in the next 2 weeks. Been reading alot and the FAQs are fantastic. I just had a question regarding the amount of lees at the bottom of the primary and secondary. Basically, in a 1 gallon batch, how much can you expect to lose from transfering to secondary? I'm contemplating doing a 1.5 gallon batch just to compensate for losses. Any tricks/advice would be appreciated!

I believe a lot of people top it off after racking using either water if they think it's plenty sweet already or alternatively more honey dissolved in water. I'd like the experienced mead folks to comment though as I'll be looking at the same issue when I rack my current batches.

When I make gallon batches, I get about 1/2 inch of lees after primary. That's on the bottom of a 1 gallon apple juice jug. FYI, it's not critical you leave 100% of the lees in primary. It'll be fine if you happen to suck up a little. They'll settle out by the time you're ready.

since 1 gallon = 128oz; in theory, you should get ten 12 oz bottles of mead out of a gallon batch. Due to loses from racking/sampling, I usually get 9.

You will lose some due to racking, and since you want to minimize headspace, you should look at topping of or other techniques to cut the oxidation chances during the nice long secondary

since 1 gallon = 128oz; in theory, you should get ten 12 oz bottles of mead out of a gallon batch. Due to loses from racking/sampling, I usually get 9.

You will lose some due to racking, and since you want to minimize headspace, you should look at topping of or other techniques to cut the oxidation chances during the nice long secondary

those numbers sound similar to my experience. a mini autosiphon will help you get as much as possible. regular auto siphon usually can't fit inside the mouth of 1 gallon jugs.

those numbers sound similar to my experience. a mini autosiphon will help you get as much as possible. regular auto siphon usually can't fit inside the mouth of 1 gallon jugs.

good point to include the mini auto siphon - I forgot to include that. They are absolutely neccessary for small batches.

Right on! Thanks for the advice regarding the mini-auto... Def. gotta pick that up when I make it to the LHBS. Can't wait to get started on the batches.

I always make more in the primary so I'll have enough for racking. I usually make 1.5 gallons in the primary for a 1-gallon batch. I don't like topping with water.

Back