Nightmare, could use some help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

queuetue

Reaction score
The night before last (wednesday), my friend and I brewed two batches.

Mine was half-kit, a cooper draught amended with peat-smoked cracked grain and 3 lbs munton's wheat extract, pitched with safbrew t-58. The t-58 was a year out of date, so I proofed it first with DME and it developed excellent cream. Cooled wort to 73 and pitched, OG: 1.052. Thursday morning, fermentation was progressing in an excellent way, and I have great hopes for it, and it smells most awesome.

Now, the other ... He warmed up some tap water (not boiled), dumped in a cooper IPA kit, dumped in an unmeasured amount (about half of a bag labeled 500g ) of DME, and some unmarked pelleted hops, waited till the temp got to 80 and pitched the dry cooper standard yeast on top. No OG measurement.

The next day, he had no activity. Pushing on the lid appeared to confirm seal, so we assumed dead yeast. We proofed yeast from another cooper IPA kit and when it was nice and active, popped the lid. What appeared to be happening was the yeast was sitting on top of some hop pellet scum and had not inoculated. He pulls aside the floating hop mat and pours in the proofed yeast, but before I note that I see lots of activity going on once he moved the mat aside. It was doing it's job just fine.

Arrrgh. So, now we've double-yeasted this batch. It turns out there is some slow leak in the lid - push down, you get airlock activity, hold it and the airlock slowly closes again. Must be a slightly warped lid or something.

So, now we have a primary that's status completely unknown. Is the double-yeasting going to speed fermentation and make the batch taste wierd? Is the bad seal going to let bad bugs in? Who knows, but I thought I'd ask you all for suggestions as to a next step. I plan on picking up a new primary tonight, will sanitizing and transferring to it be sensible at this point? Should he just toss it and start over, with proper sanitization and proofing?

Thanks for any help you can give.

No no no. Relax. Everything is fine. Double yeast probably ok. THe seal, not a problem. Dont worry about the airlock activity . Control the temps and come back in a few weeks and take some gravity readings. It's a shame you don't know you OG, but if you have a documented FG, you can shoot for that. BUt realy, relax come back in a few weeks or longer.

The added yeast wasn't necessary, since it was fermenting, but it'll be ok. It's not good to stir or aerate beer once it's fermented, but he probably didn't oxidize it with just a little stirring. At this point, it's best to leave it alone. Racking, stirring, moving, etc, will just cause more problems. Let it finish up and let it settle out. It will be fine. It might not be the world's best beer, but it will still be fine.

The extra yeast won't hurt anything. Don't worry about that.

The rest of his procedure though... yeuch! I guess it'll make beer though.

I have a very important five step procedure for you to follow.

1) Go to the fridge.
2) Remove a beer.
3) Open said beer.
4) Sit down with said beer.
5) Relax and drink the beer.

In two or three weeks proceed as if none of what happened happened at all. Because it won't make a hilla-beans of difference in the outcome. :)

First, fermentation can take up to 72 hours for the yeasties to start, it's called lag time. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/

Secondly get out of the idea of using "airlock bubbling" as a sign of fermentation, you have to realize that airlock activity is not an accurate indication of fermentation...an airlock is a vent for excess co2, nothing more...and half of my beers never bubble.

Read this...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/1217925-post3.html

Yodardwhahb.jpg

:D

Step away from the beer! Since it is fermenting, you will do more to harm it by over thinking and messing with it.

Two packs of yeas aren't necessarily going to speed fermentation up. Even if it does, you will want to let it sit for 3 weeks. Even if your kit says bottle after 7 days.

I guess I am a bit of a control freak, but that procedure you followed scares me. It is like slapping everything i know about homebrewing in the face.

But, at least it will be beer!

A week or two later, and the "nightmare" beer is very drinkable, although not to my tastes. Maybe it'll be better after a few more weeks. Once again, the advice "leave it alone, it'll be beer" is vindicated.

so yer buddy did not boil his extract, or his hops? was the extract pre-hopped? if not it seems like this would be a very sweet (not bitter) IPA with some dry hop aroma/flavor.

keep brewing the way you did...not the way he did it ;)

Latest posts

Back