How many apples for how many litres?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrumpyJack

Reaction score
Roughly how many apples makes how many lites?
If you have a demi john (5l) that isn't quite full to the brim, can you top it up with apple juice?

I pressed (the small press kind) 5 Royal Gala apples, and only got about 250ml juice. Worked out that id need about 100 to fill a Gallon demijohn if I use Royal Gala (which I wont be, I'm waiting for summer to get some good apples, but I'm not sure whats the best available variety in ireland and also best value for money)

It probably also depends on the ripeness of the apple, size of apple and the brand.

I pressed (the small press kind) 5 Royal Gala apples, and only got about 250ml juice. Worked out that id need about 100 to fill a Gallon demijohn if I use Royal Gala (which I wont be, I'm waiting for summer to get some good apples, but I'm not sure whats the best available variety in ireland and also best value for money)

It probably also depends on the ripeness of the apple, size of apple and the brand.

100 apples equals about £36.
Yikes.

Don't orchards in the UK sell cider apples? Last fall I saw a bin of them at the farmer's market for a great price, something like $1 Canadian for a kg of apples. They were pretty bruised and some had black spots that you'd have to cut out before pressing, but overall it looked like a good blend of the 10+ varieties the orchard grew.

Apples for cider don't have to meet the cosmetic criteria for apples at the market. They can also be left longer on the tree to ripen better. If I can get 5Litres per 10 kg from my homemade press, a proper cider press should be able to do better. The apples have to be milled first to make pomace, a coarse kind of puree, then wrapped in muslin cloth or mossie net to make the "cheese". There are some good videos on youtube which show how to do it.

Apples for cider don't have to meet the cosmetic criteria for apples at the market. They can also be left longer on the tree to ripen better. If I can get 5Litres per 10 kg from my homemade press, a proper cider press should be able to do better. The apples have to be milled first to make pomace, a coarse kind of puree, then wrapped in muslin cloth or mossie net to make the "cheese". There are some good videos on youtube which show how to do it.

Most of the videos say to food process the apples and then press them.
What is the muslin cloth part used for?

Now, how many apples is 10kg on average?

If you use a basket press with the slats you don't need the cloth.
If you are just doing small quantities a food processor is fine.
If you do some research with google and youtube you will see the difference between a basket press and an apple press.

If you use a basket press with the slats you don't need the cloth.
If you are just doing small quantities a food processor is fine.
If you do some research with google and youtube you will see the difference between a basket press and an apple press.

But a food processor doesn't get as much juice so you end up spending much much more on apples.

I meant using a food processor before pressing. You can't press whole apples, they have to be ground up somehow. I use a garden mulcher, but that would be overkill for a few litres.

Back