Odors from fermenting in coat closet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skifast1

Reaction score
Hi all - just racked my first brew (bock) into the secondary fermenter (woohoo!). The primary was down in the basement, where it's low-mid 60's. The main floor is the perfect temp, but due to 3 little ones running around the house, the only protected space is in the coat closet. If I ran my next primary in the closet would I end up with a closet full of yeasty-smelling coats? I have no idea how much odor the blow-off gases contain (6 gal, so no physical blow-off, just gases). The secondary is in the closet now, but with virtually no activity.

Thanks!
-ski

I've never noticed any strong odors from my fermenters, and what little there is is gone after the first couple of days. My brew closet is also my clothes closet, and so far no one has complained of me smelling like beer. My last brew was an IPA...there was definately a bit of hop smell in there for the first couple of days, but not really strong, and mostly just right over the bubbler.

No problem with odours from my primary either. You have to get your nose right over it to get any smell really. I doubt you'll get any odours from a secondary as the activity is so low

The only thing that I have found to be stinky is lagers when they are fermenting, but even then, only for a couple days. Besides, Calvin Klien is coming out with a new cologne called 'Trub.' Or was that Ralph Lauren?

Of course, Cheyco's closet doesn't smell that good anyhow, so he's got nothing to lose. And he brews so much beer that his whole house smells pretty interesting.

Back