strange flavor after fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psychogenius

Reaction score
heres the recipe

5 gallons motts natural (essentially half cider half concentrate)
2 pounds dextrose
Lavlin yeast

there was about a solid week of heavy fermentation, about 2 weeks of maybe a bubble every 30seconds or so and then the last two weeks it was pretty much stopped (5 weeks total)

i bottled it today and couldn't believe how yeasty it smelled and tasted. it pretty much smelled like a liquid yeast packet with a hint of apple and tasted like it to.

is this normal?

added 5 ounces dextrose and about a half cup of splenda, bottled in 22 ounce bottles. will leave for about a month.

it wasnt clear when i bottled, but it also wasnt clear when i started since it was mostly cider. there was a thick yeast cake at the bottom so i know it did flocculate a decent amount.

dont know the FG, i didnt have my hydrometer with me

even fresh pressed cider will be clear when done if you give it time... if it hadn't cleared all the way, that could be your problem... maybe give it a little longer in the bottle to age and clear, and try it again...

Back