Anyone use a fox run grain mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The price is right...if it works. I can afford to check it out because if it doesn't work...I can make it right...

One of my other Hobbies:
IMAG0026.jpg

Keyth

Impressive shop...just my opinion, the mill linked above is not a good platform to start with, except of course for a door stop.

Check out the pasta roller grain mill thread. You can get one of those for 15 bucks if you want to play.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/using-pasta-maker-mill-grain-75784/

I haven't finished reading that entire thread, I will...thanks, but the one the OP listed looks a lot like a re-branded version of the first "pasta" roller shown in that thread...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMACO-BRAND-NEW-Pasta-Machine-For-Polymer-Clay-Soft-Metal-Sheets-12381S-/160731539675?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256c58a8db

The price is right...if it works. I can afford to check it out because if it doesn't work...I can make it right...

One of my other Hobbies:
IMAG0026.jpg

Keyth

Why not just build your own and skip the re-engineering, seems like that would be cheaper and easier in the long run.

Oh wow, someone stole our idea and is now selling modded pasta mills for grain. But hey if he's machining the rollers I guess that's a plus. BUT I think I should get a commission or at least a free one, since I was the guy that provided the info that convinced folks to start making them.

Why not just build your own and skip the re-engineering, seems like that would be cheaper and easier in the long run.

Of course I could, but why re-invent the wheel, putting a knurl on the rollers is simple and all the rest of the work is done for you. I'm going to swing by Michaels and see if they still have them. As for being cheaper, I don't know. I just did a search on Micheal's and found a 50% off Coupon.

Keyth

Update:
Just got back from Michael's with one, paid $14.99 for it. I'll take some photo before, during, and after my attempt to knurl the rollers. It looks like it will work fine.

Keyth,

By all means play with the pasta roller if so inclined...but my experience is that while it will work, it is not really up to the task of milling grain for beermaking over the long haul. The rollers are too small to pull the grain through, the metal rollers are also soft metal and don't hold the knurl well after use. For inexpensive milling I have found the Corona style mills far superior to a pasta roller.

All the rest of the work is not really done for you, the rollers don't hold gap that well and are not truly adjustable, but rather have settings...too narrow or wide :). To achieve a crush I was satisfied with, I needed to run the grain through twice. Not as bad as breaking out of jail w/ a nail file...but there are far better tools available.

Nice shop.
I have a mill already, thought someone may have experience with these or want to check them out.

One of my other Hobbies:
IMAG0026.jpg

Keyth

Nice shop.
I have a mill already, thought someone may have experience with these or want to check them out.

While it appears we're late to the party on this one, I certainly appreciate the post. I would never have found the "Pasta Mill" thread without your initial post. While $40.00 isn't bad for a budget grain mill like the one in the original post, $15 and one and a half hours in the shop (10 minutes to take it apart, 20 minutes to knurl the rollers, and then an hour to figure out how to put the @$#@%# thing back together :eek: ) is awesome and great fun.

I did find that the roller material is rather soft, but I don't think I brew enough to wear it out too quickly. As long as I'm hitting my OGs, I'll be tickled.

I can now strategize on how to build a low budget fermentation chamber and perhaps acquire a larger brew kettle.

thanks again,

Keyth

I just got one of these off ebay - it does have 3 knurled steel rollers, and an adjustable gap.

It's not anything more than a modded pasta mill - but for $39 + shipping it was a deal. I doubt it will last forever, but then again, it doesn't have to.

I was considering buying this Fox Run mill from Amazon.

I noticed that all the reviews are from quite some time ago.

Has anyone ordered one of these mills recently, and have they changed the design of the rollers with the knurling so it operates like it should?

Thanks!
Keith

Back