Bottling Various Sizes - Question about priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keelanfish

Reaction score
I bottle 100% of the beer I brew. I don't know why, but I've never had any desire to keg. However, I do occasionally like to bottle in larger containers. I have several 64 oz amber growlers left over from this past summer's infatuation with Pisgah Pale Ale. I also have three 1 gallon stainless steel mini kegs. I've used the mini kegs on past brews, but have found that the beer is way over carbonated and foams like crazy. I also use a wide variety of bottle sizes sometimes on the same batch of beer.

My question is this: When bottling, should the amount of priming sugar be adjusted based on the size of bottle?

I commonly use the following sizes: 12 oz, Pint, 22 oz, 750 mL, Half Gallon & Gallon.

My question is this: When bottling, should the amount of priming sugar be adjusted based on the size of bottle?

I commonly use the following sizes: 12 oz, Pint, 22 oz, 750 mL, Half Gallon & Gallon.

Do you add the priming solution to the bottling bucket or to each individual bottle? For anything smaller than a gallon (maybe half gallon), I would prime the entire batch in a bottling bucket. For larger bottles, I would use slightly less sugar. I believe beersmith has a calculator for this

I add the priming sugar to the bottling bucket. I've never really had any carbing issues with anything 22 oz or smaller. But the 750's, growlers and mini kegs often times seem over carbonated. I read somewhere (can't remember which book) that when kegging if you're not going to force carb to cut the priming sugar in half. I assumed that was for 5 gallon kegs, so was just wondering if a mini keg (1 gallong) should be cut by 25% or somewhere close.

I haven't checked Beersmith, I'll be sure to do that. Thanks for the tip.

Back