Carbonating a Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
40 PSI, shake till your arms are about ready to fall off, then shake for a lot longer. You can carb i an hour with the right determination, then slowly purge and reduce pressure, and prepare for the wasted foam as you get it to serving pressure.

Not sure why you'd want to do this?

40 PSI, shake till your arms are about ready to fall off, then shake for a lot longer. You can carb i an hour with the right determination, then slowly purge and reduce pressure, and prepare for the wasted foam as you get it to serving pressure.

Not sure why you'd want to do this?

Me either, I cringe whenever I read stuff like that. Shake a baby, don't shake your beer.

Note: Obviously I am not serious, don't give me any crap about shaking babies.

What is a good serving temp for an IPA?

Also are you shaking the keg while the co2 is attached? I am assuming yes.

I prefer 40 deg F, poured into a room temp glass.

Yes shaking while the CO2 is attatched, AND the keg has previously been chilled to serving temp.

I should add that I never use this method, and only recomend it in an extreme emergency (birth, death, wedding, Hurricane Katrina). I apply gas at serving pressure (10-12 PSI for me), and wait the week it takes to fully carb, and improve vastly in taste.

I don't see any problem with shaking beer, but keep in mind that it will still take a couple days for things to settle and the carbonic acid to mellow.

I was also wondering if a carbonating stone was worth my money. I mean... as long as i didn't need the beer quickly why spend money on a carb stone when i could just drink some other beer while i waited for this one to carb without a stone.

Back