Adding stuff during fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Hey all,

I wanted to add some cinnamon sticks to my recently-started fermenting batch. Am I right in assuming its safe to break the air-lock and open it up for a few seconds to do this since fermentation is so violent that it wont allow harmful oxidation or bacteria?

Yes. The fermentation has created a pocket if CO2 on top of the wort. I'm still fairly new, so I'm not sure if spices or things of that nature need to be treated/sanitized before adding it, but there is definatlly no problem with removing the airlock once and a while

I think the best times to add cinnamon sticks would be during the boil or in the secondary not during fermentation, but someone will tell me to shut up if I'm wrong.

yeah, you need to add cinnamon and other spices during the boil, otherwise you'll barely extract any flavor out of it.

you can also make a tea now, and add that.

also if he leaves them in the secondary for an extended period of time, it will extract plenty of flavor.

Back