Official Maryland Big Brew Day 2008 Info 2/23

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DraconianHand said:
Here is the recipe for the Black Mass Abbey Stout, for those that were interested. I'll post it to the recipes area whenever I get up the motivation to do it.

I'm really interested in the Raspberry Saison. :rockin:

i made a boston ale....

I made nothing but off the cuff comments

I made an bitter using a variety of hops that I've never used before. It will be interesting, certainly.

My airlock is still bubbling. That's weird, I pitched Saturday afternoon. :ban:

Kevin Dean said:
I'm really interested in the Raspberry Saison. :rockin:

I made an bitter using a variety of hops that I've never used before. It will be interesting, certainly.

My airlock is still bubbling. That's weird, I pitched Saturday afternoon. :ban:

mine took forever to start... but its not bubbling anymore. and the krausen is dissolved :p gonna take a gravity reading tonight... anyone know what my FG should be? its a sam ale clone.

Mm...I made a raspberry and a strawberry saison last summer at this time and were wonderful. Mine ended up a little high due to the fruit addition that didn't quite finish all the way out.

Mid May is probably better for me -- March and April are a bit crazy 'round these parts. Plus I'll be brewing an Oktoberfest in March and all my carboys will be full for a while.

chris.

Here is the recipe for raspberry saison. It has been a while since I made it. I am not sure if I would boil the corriander, Grains of Paradise and orange peel for 15 minutes as the recipe says. Also, my recipe had a .25 oz corriander addition at 5 minutes, but I can't remember if that is correct or not.

Abdul Alhazred's NecrinomiSaison (Saison)
16-C Saison

Size: 5.5 gal
Efficiency: 75%
Attenuation: 75%

Original Gravity: 1.063 (1.048 - 1.080)
Terminal Gravity: 1.016 (1.010 - 1.016)
Color: 9.9 (5.0 - 12.0)
Alcohol: 6.26% (5.0% - 8.5%)
Bitterness: 26.72 (25.0 - 45.0)

Ingredients:
10.25 lbs Belgian Pale
6 oz Belgian Aromatic
1 lbs Wheat Malt
1 lbs Sugar, Turbinado

0.5 oz Hallertau (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz East Kent Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.25 oz East Kent Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min

0.5 tsp Corriander crushed - added during boil, boiled 15 min
0.5 oz Bitter Curacao/Bitter Orange (Peel) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
0.25 tsp Grains of Paradise - added during boil, boiled 15 min

5 lbs. Raspberries (frozen) - added dry to secondary fermenter
Pectic Enzyme - added dry to secondary fermenter

1 ea White Labs WLP566 Belgian Saison II

Mash Temp: 153 °F

claphamsa said:
Is it too soon to plan the next one? late april? mid may?
Would anyone be interested in brewing an RIS for the next one? I can supply the brewery for a ten gallon batch recipe if someone wouldn't mind showing me the AG ropes.

I got mine filled at GTS in Jessup. It's on Dorsey Run Rd back by the food warehouses. GTS will refill; Roberts only does exchanges.

I use AirGas in Alexandria since it's right next to work.

I've got a Bob's Air in Frederick, thought. What do they charge for a 5# exchange?

adx said:
I got mine filled at GTS in Jessup. It's on Dorsey Run Rd back by the food warehouses. GTS will refill; Roberts only does exchanges.

True, but there's the benefit of moving up sizes with that.

I had a 10# that I wanted to use for mass carbing on many kegs and my 5# for the freezer, and when I went in with the 10# they were wall out and I got a 20# for just the cost of gas difference.

sure, you may lose your shiny 5#, but you can immediately go from 5# to 20# by just paying the cost of the CO2 instead of having to buy a bigger tank.

we need to think about the next one.

Also I was thinking, if anyone wants to randomly brew on the weekends, I'm down, I'm a looser on the weekends....lots of drinking, and no one to brew with :(

I should brew with flytact more often, he's only a mile or less away

balto charlie said:
Hey Where are you maryland guys filling your CO2 tanks? Thanks, Charlie

I live in Baltimore and usually get my C02 at Harford Beverage Company.

chris.

Thanks for the tank info

Anybody have a 7-9 gallon pot I can borrow. I want to see if my stove top can bring 5 gallons of water to a boil. We have been talking about brewing w/out a propane burner in AG forum. If I can boil 6 gallons then Iwill buy a 8 gallon pot for 5 gallon system. I already have a Igloo cooler(5 gallon) and need a pot and chiller. The chiller can be used for a later upgrade to 10 gallons. So all I will be out is the pot. Plus I like the idea of smaller sized batches. Thanks Charlie

whoops, I just realized I replied to this thread in another thread.

How is everyone's brews doing? I finally made my Fat Tire Clone today

98EXL said:
whoops, I just realized I replied to this thread in another thread.

How is everyone's brews doing? I finally made my Fat Tire Clone today

If you're asking a general question not related to Brew Day, my extract IPA is rockin. I'm racking it into the secondary tomorrow. Tastes great.

MULE said:
If you're asking a general question not related to Brew Day, my extract IPA is rockin. I'm racking it into the secondary tomorrow. Tastes great.

I was :D But that's sweet....I love enjoying great beer

98EXL said:
How is everyone's brews doing?

md-hb-primary.gif

There was active, visable fermentation as of Wednesday the 27th. It's stopped now and that's all I know. :D

Oh man! I wish I came across this earlier. I live in College Park and I would have been there in a heart beat. I have been searching for other homebrewers in MD for awhile now without much success. I was hoping to host a brewday party where we could all brew some beer and trade batches. Let me know if you are interested.

Plans are in the works for a sequel to MD Brew Day, and I'm sure that if you set something up yourself you'd get people to hop in (pun unintended but clever nonetheless).

My Haus Pale Ale is in primary, and has a strange odor that I've never smelled before. Hard to describe.

I've never had an infection so I don't know if this is one, or if it's just a fermentation odor I'm not experienced with. I'll taste it later this week -- I'm not giving up yet, it's probably fine.

chris.

mmmmmmmmmmmm, sequel!

I was going to pickup a keg Sunday but that thing called work got in the way of it

I wanna do a 10 gallon batch soon!

Back