Ginger Beer (lacto fermented) Q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeParty

Reaction score
First question is whether or not lacto fermented ginger beer is alcoholic? I began with a ginger bug and now i use the residual "yeast" left in the bottom of the carboy for the next batch after it is washed. It starts fermenting within a day and bubble like crazy.

If my OG is around 1.045 and FG is 0.99 are the sugars not fermented into alcohol. If not what happens to the sugars.

Is anyone privy to lacto fermentation chemistry?

First question is whether or not lacto fermented ginger beer is alcoholic? I began with a ginger bug and now i use the residual "yeast" left in the bottom of the carboy for the next batch after it is washed. It starts fermenting within a day and bubble like crazy.

If my OG is around 1.045 and FG is 0.99 are the sugars not fermented into alcohol. If not what happens to the sugars.

Is anyone privy to lacto fermentation chemistry?

Yes. If the OG is 1.045, and the FG is .990, that's about 7.2% ABV.

It sounds like you have saccharomyces in there in addition to lactobacillus.

If your ginger bug is the stuff made of bread yeast-ginger-sugar you are not lactofermenting. Might want to actually read about making lactofermented sodas, a bit of fresh whey is all you need, or water kefir grains will even pull off a quasi-lactofermented ginger beer; even better source a traditional ginger beer plant from yemoos.com or gingerbeerplant.net

But there is a decent explanation of lactofermentation chemistry here: http://www.pickl-it.com/faq/148/process-microbial-lacto-fermentation/

I like the website, it has nice insight on pickling. I would like to find a site like that describing lacto fermented sodas. Like I said in my original post, I started my fermentation with a ginger bug plant of water, ground ginger and sugar fermented aerobically and no yeast was added, only that present in the air in my kitchen. now I reuse the "yeast" cake left behind.

I have read many blogs and I have the Wild Fermentation book. I am not looking for people's opinions about fermented sodas but the science like in the above website. If anyone has good information I would greatly appreciate it.

My objective is to make a shelf stable soda much like all the home brewers do with beer. I do not want bottle bombs and I hope to maintain the quality and drinkability in the bottle over time.

So far I have had success fermenting in a carboy with an airlock until the sugars are nearly all consumed and the fermentation has stopped. I add sweetness to the soda with priming sugar for carbonation. I am crafting my recipe to my taste, and I enjoy the process and sharing it with people who appreciate it.

Now, I am trying to build my understanding. I believe Weston A Price foundation may be a source of knowledge and possibly Reed's. I will share my findings.

Go to PUBMED, search key words lactic acid ferment, lactofermentation, bacteria ferment, lactobacillus, or the specific species, common or latin name, Food, Drink, Ferments, Production.

Back