Bevilaqua's breakfast brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bevilaquafoto

Reaction score
Okay, clearly I've been left home alone too long. This weekend I started an experimental one gallon batch of hard cider, a two-gallon batch of Chamomile blond ale, and then I had half a packet of yeast left over that I didn't want to just throw out. After doing a bit of reading, and still wanting to try to experiment, I have steeped up oats, a banana, cinnamon stick, a fair amount of honey, and also maple syrup. I pitched at 70 degrees, and will see what happens. It may be disgusting, but in the interest of experimentation, I will check back to this thread in a couple of weeks after fermenting. Someone should maybe check on me, or send over someone to supervise me as I have CLEARLY been left alone too long in the kitchen. :ban:

Lol, what kind of oats? Looks like the only fermentable is the maple syrup and honey. How much of each. Almost kind of a mead?

I thought the sugars, at least some of them, in bananas are fermentable. Either way it'll make for one interesting brew. You can't even really call it beer. Random Sugar Wine? I'd like to hear how this comes out.

Mind power, Sweed, mind power! (Sorry, A Christmas Story reference). Yes, I didn't think that the oats had much if any sugar, but I know that oats ARE used as an ingredient sometimes, more to add flavor and texture than as a fermentable. As Nukebrewer said, I think the banana also has fermentable sugar. I am a poor scientist, and was imprecise in my measurement of the fermentables. I probably used too much honey and maple syrup. About a pound of it in all. I have a different problem this morning, though. The oat solids all rose to the top of the carboy, and forced the stopper out of the carboy! I had a bung and blow-off tube feeding into a bowl of Star-San. Does this automatically mean that the batch is ruined? Automatically contaminated, or should I wait and see? I should have moved more slowly in my play, and drained out the oat milk and discarded the solids. I may try this again. Do you think having the stopper off most of the night killed it? How will I know? :confused:

You're more than likely fine. If the fermentation was vigorous enough to force the stopper out of the carboy, it was probably putting off enough CO2 to keep bad stuff out.

YES!! Thank you. This may be a moot point anyway if my concoction turns out to be disgusting, but it actually smells pretty good, so far. I had a thought...if this doesn't work as a mead, or other drinkable concoction, is it too late to steep up some good, dark grain, or maybe add some DME to create an actual beer with it? Could I let it ferment out, and use it as a flavoring agent for a larger batch of something?

I like where your head's at, but you don't even know what thing is going to be, so why mess with it at this point? It might be something delicious, it might be something disgusting, but you won't know if you mess with it.

Good point. Thank you. I'll let it run it's course, see what i get out of it, and do it again if it's any good. I'll keep updating this thread. Thanks for the advice! It's appreciated.

I'm thinking you're probably going to have to let this age 6+ months. It sounds like a wine.

Yes, I am imagining lots of simple sugar here...you can always try distilling it!

djonas said:
Yes, I am imagining lots of simple sugar here...you can always try distilling it!

Thats also a great idea! In going to see how it tastes first, then see where we wind up with it.

Back