Auto siphon questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepinctbrewer

Reaction score
What is the best way to keep the hops out of the beer when transferring to a carboy? I will be going from using a bucket as a primary to a 6 gallon better bottle. Normally I strain the wort over the bucket to keep the hops out. I tried a Muslin bag today on the end of the auto Siphon to bottle 12 beers and keg the rest. Had a hard time even getting the beer to flow for the 12 beers . I had to remove the muslin bag. To keg the rest of the beer. This beer was dry hopped in the better bottle . Hope it turns out ok, seemed like there was a lot of air bubbles in the siphon while doing this .

I've used a nylon bag which covered the length of the siphon with plenty of slack on the bottom with success. I don't see how air could enter the auto siphon.

I had a lot of air in the auto siphon too until I put two hose clamps on the outgoing hose. Air was leaking by and aerating my beer. I'm new enough to not be able to tell if it affected the taste though. :)

The only time I've ever had air in the siphon is from too loose of a connection from the cane to the tube...I've also seen a few bubbles at the turn when I don't get a strong enough flow started...another small half pump usually fixes that.

I use a secondary, cold crash, and a muslin bag on the hops that I dry-hop. So I really don't have to worry about hops getting into the bottling bucket/bottles

Back