Brewing levels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYeric

Reaction score
Assuming that the kits I am currently using (five gallon extract and 45 minute malt boil etc) are beginner. What would the logical next step be?

I think that very soon I will be board "just folling directions" haha

Is that what I have been doing? For example today I steeped Crystal Malt and then aded hops, gypsum, DME, etc 45 minute boil....then in the fermenter.

I just buy everything in a box

You were doing what is commonly called 'extract with steeping grains' (or thereabouts). The next step as mentioned would be partial mash. It is essentially the same except you steep at a specific temperature for a period of time (usually 30-60 minutes) and you use some amount of a base malt to actually convert some starches to sugar. If you checkout the wiki you can find all the information about the various steps. If you can steep you can definitely do partial mashing (without even needing any new equipment depending on your kitchen supplies at hand).

loopmd said:
partial mash.

it's steeping grains in a grainbag and then adding the extract.

:mug:

loop

Sorry, but that's not partial mash. That's steeping with extract. Partial mash is basicallly the same as all-grain except you still add extract to the boil. IMHO you might as well skip the partial Mash and go straight to AG. I mean if you're going to go through all the trouble of mashing, sparging, etc, you might as well get enough sugars out of that so you don't need to add any extract.

However, if you don't feel like going the AG or PM route, there's plenty of other things you can experiment with. You could try brewing a lager. Of course you'd need some kind of way to keep your brew cool for this. Or you could try brewing a "big" beer like a Belgian Dubbel or maybe a mead.

Or maybe you could just try and formulate some recipes of your own, instead of using kits. Do some research online, maybe get yourself some brewing software, and brew some recipes, but maybe change the hops alittle or steep a different grain or add some honey or some fruit or whatever. Basically there is no "logical next step" Do what interests you.

Thanks for the replies all...

I am thinking all grain is wayyyyy beyond me right now. I am not really a slow learner, even though it took me a while to figure out what a SWMBO was....ok I asked my wife and she told me...

I think breaking away from the box will be a good thing, until I learn hat makes taste, body, etc....

Back