Brewed my first sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xjncoguyx

Reaction score
So i brewed my first sour, using the berliner weisse strain from white labs WLP630. My question is, how do i kill the bugs after its done? I am pretty much dedicating this fermenter to sours from now on, but just wondering for any other piece of equipment that comes in contact will oxyclean kill em, or do i need something more, high temp, etc. :(

Oxyclean isn't a sanitizer (it is great for getting crud off your gear though). I'd get some Star-San.

With good sanitation you can share equipment (especially if you are just using Lacto), but if you brew a lot of sours it is worth having a second set of post-boil gear. I just hand down my old "clean" geear to my sours once a year or so.

Oxyclean isn't a sanitizer (it is great for getting crud off your gear though). I'd get some Star-San.

With good sanitation you can share equipment (especially if you are just using Lacto), but if you brew a lot of sours it is worth having a second set of post-boil gear. I just hand down my old "clean" geear to my sours once a year or so.
Dude, this isn't my first rodeo. I have star-san. Im not looking for sanitizing, im looking for sterilizing. Or basically killing off the bugs. I only suggested oxyclean because i wasn't sure if they could live in it. Im basically looking for a way to kill them off so i don't have to worry about them coming into contact with any of my other equipment. I will probably eventually use separate equipment for my sours, but i was just wondering of what those little guys can survive mostly.

Dude, this isn't my first rodeo. I have star-san. Im not looking for sanitizing, im looking for sterilizing. Or basically killing off the bugs. I only suggested oxyclean because i wasn't sure if they could live in it. Im basically looking for a way to kill them off so i don't have to worry about them coming into contact with any of my other equipment. I will probably eventually use separate equipment for my sours, but i was just wondering of what those little guys can survive mostly.

Since your looking to sterilize (which is stronger than sanitizing) and not sanitize, and Oxiclean is not a sanitizer, Oldsock answered your question. Only way I know of to completely kill all organisms is to use an autoclave which won't work on most of our homebrew equipment.

Since your looking to sterilize (which is stronger than sanitizing) and not sanitize, and Oxiclean is not a sanitizer, Oldsock answered your question. Only way I know of to completely kill all organisms is to use an autoclave which won't work on most of our homebrew equipment.
So boiling or high temp water won't kill lacto? I find that hard to believe.

Good to know :mug: Im sure i'll soak in oxy first just to clean and then soak in starsan for a few minutes. I guess the PH is too much for the lacto to live in?

Well if you think about it, lacto, pedio and brett exist naturally in the environment on stuff, in the air, etc. When your equipment sits in storage it gets all that stuff on it. That's why we sanitize before post-boil wort or beer touches anything.

The difference with sour beers is that you're creating big pools of those critters and they soak in the equipment which increases the likelihood that they can get into a scratch, small cracks, etc. and not come out with a spray from a spray bottle. Anything I have that touches a sour (or infected) beer gets a long soak in starsan for a few days. I fill up the fermenter and bottling bucket with starsan and then dump in all the tubing and let it sit for a few days. Then I dump it out and put it in storage. I haven't had cross contamination yet.

Well if you think about it, lacto, pedio and brett exist naturally in the environment on stuff, in the air, etc. When your equipment sits in storage it gets all that stuff on it. That's why we sanitize before post-boil wort or beer touches anything.

The difference with sour beers is that you're creating big pools of those critters and they soak in the equipment which increases the likelihood that they can get into a scratch, small cracks, etc. and not come out with a spray from a spray bottle. Anything I have that touches a sour (or infected) beer gets a long soak in starsan for a few days. I fill up the fermenter and bottling bucket with starsan and then dump in all the tubing and let it sit for a few days. Then I dump it out and put it in storage. I haven't had cross contamination yet.
Yeah, that was my biggest concern was not so much that the critters will be on it, but the concentration of the critters. Also was wondering once bottled will the lacto go dormant once CO2 is introduced? Also, anyone ever keg a sour and force carb?

Yeah, that was my biggest concern was not so much that the critters will be on it, but the concentration of the critters. Also was wondering once bottled will the lacto go dormant once CO2 is introduced? Also, anyone ever keg a sour and force carb?

I can't speak to kegging myself but as far as bottles go some lacto strains can ferment anaerobically so they can survive in CO2 but they will go dormant once they run out of sugars to consume. I've never had a bottle bomb issue with lacto infected beers. I just prime as normal and let it run its course.

I can't speak to kegging myself but as far as bottles go some lacto strains can ferment anaerobically so they can survive in CO2 but they will go dormant once they run out of sugars to consume. I've never had a bottle bomb issue with lacto infected beers. I just prime as normal and let it run its course.
I was thinking i'll probably bottle these anyway and just prime, but that was my major concern, i'd hate to lose months of waiting on bottle bombs. Would be the saddest day ever. I'd rather not have any critters near my kegging setup anyway. :mug:

I have been told any soft parts (bungs, gaskets, hose..possibly airlocks?) you will want to dedicate to sours....glass can be cleaned fine.. Never done a sour just what I have heard on several different sources (podcast,HBT)

Back