1st timer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmsj

Reaction score
I have just tried a vintners reserve wine kit for the 1st time. I got it a couple years ago as a xmas present and just got around to trying it. My question after doing step 1- PRIMARY FERMENTION, nothing happen after a week. I think yeast was old. I added two more packs of yeast and got great fermention and after 1 week my specfic gravity is 1.000. and tonight I transferred it to a carboy. What will the result be from adding extra yeast? Will is still work? There was a little foam scum on top liquid when I opened pail. Is that normal.

Thanks in advance for any help

Welcome to HBT!

Your original yeast was probably too old but you fix it just fine by adding fresh yeast.

You may drop a few more points in the next week or two.

Foam and/or scum is pretty normal for fermentation.

The extra yeast you used may need a little longer to clear completely. One thing I noted when making the Vintners kits is that the instructions hurry the process along a little more than I would say is good. The great thing about wine is you can procrastinate for a while once it is in secondary.

Back