My own recipie...sound any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990dtgl98

Reaction score
So I've been thinking of making a wit/hefe style beer, and put together my own simple recipie. Should I got for it?

-7lbs fresh Wheat LME
-.5lbs munich
-.5lbs crystal 20L
-.5lbs victory
-1oz tettnang @60
-.5oz hallertau @30
-.5oz hallertau @flameout
-zest of 3 oranges, 1 lemon, 1 lime @flameout

This one is for SWMBO and my sister...both of which are pestering me to stop the hoppy or dark beers and make something they enjoy more :D. I figure this might work, as they like the citrus wheat/wit/hefe beers.

How's it sound?

both of which are pestering me to stop the hoppy or dark beers and make something they enjoy more :D

I'd say give them a barleywine or IIPA and tell them to suck it if they don't like it :D:D:D

In all seriousness, it looks pretty dang delicious. The victory might add something different to the mix but it should work out just fine. Might I recommend, though, leaving out the lemon and doing 4 oranges instead; that's just a wide variety of citrus and it may end up being overpowering for the ladies' weak palate.

Also, if you're going to go for the wit style you should probably add some crushed coriander seeds. I usually use around 0.75oz for 5.5 gallons.

Good luck!

EDIT: sorry, didn't see where you mentioned that they like citrus beers. But I'll stick to what I said, just on a personal preference to leave out the lemon then ^_^

Sweet. I'll prob go the KISS route and leave the coriander out and make it more a citrus wit.

Here's a question before I go out and buy everything:

Since I'll have the victory grains giving that bread/nutty/biscuit type taste, as well as the citrus in it, should I go with something like the White labs 320 instead of the 300 to cut down on that banana/clove nose/taste?

Or should I look at it the other way and use 300, but cut out the Victory grains, and just do say 1lb of the 20L instead of .5lbs?

I'm thinking citrus, bread/nut, banana/clove all rolled together would be too much. But I also wanted to keep the hops aroma/flavor down.

So, White labs 320 or 300?

Yeah, you don't want something overwhelming, especially to beer drinkers with an unexpanded beer palate. Here are a couple options:

1) I'd definitely go with 320 over 300... don't want the banana/clove in the mix and make it too crazy (unless you're into that kinda thing ;))

2) Try a nice American ale yeast. I've used US-05 with great success

3) Use a wit yeast!!! It'll produce some banana/clove action but it will also produce some special esters and phenols that really belong in a wit. Try either WLP400, WLP410, or Wyeast #3944

Personally, I'd use the wit yeast to keep it style-appropriate. Well, hope this got to you before you head out to the LHBS. And whatever you choose, be sure to report back and GOOD LUCK!!! :mug:

I actually got out to the store, and completely didn't think about how I went from a hefe to a wit, and got the 320.

I think I may just leave out the orange for this brew since I did get a hefe yeast and just go with the victory adding some flavor. Then again, I may try a hefe with the citrus and see how that goes... :D:rockin:

Back