Noob kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peregris

Reaction score
For my birthday on Sun. I am getting myself a kegging package - CO2 tank, lines, single keg, and picnic tap. I have the basic concepts down but am left with a question that is probably pretty simple-

Say I have one keg in the fridge, carbed up and attached to the CO2 tank set to 6-12 psi for serving. Now, another brew is finished and I rack it into a second keg. How do I then force carb that keg?

I assume that I just turn off the tank, disconnect the older keg, force carb the new one for 3 days or so, and then hook them both back up with a "tee" in the hoses. Is that right? Is there another simpler way that doesn't involve me buying more or different regulators?

Probably a stupid question, but I think about things too much and only ending up confusing myself.

Happy Birthday!

Yeah...when I started out...I had multiple kegs in the fridge...and only one gas line. I would disconnect it from one...and move it to another as needed. If your kegs have a good seal...and the beer is already carbonated...they'll keep well without the gas connected. You just have to top them up when you dispense from them.

Gas connectors can run the the bill up fast...but you'll find that over time, you can expand your hardware to the point where everything will have it's own fitting. Enjoy the new keg setup!

Thanks Chuggs -

That was my question, I guess - if it was easy or even possible to switch one line back and forth if, say, tonight I wanted to drink from Keg #1 and then tomorrow from Keg #2.

Have you considered putting a "T" in the line after the regulator and serving your beer out of one keg as the other slowly carbs over time at the same pressure? That's what I plan on doing because I'm all about wheat beers and ciders whereas my roomies both enjoy lager - all relatively highly carbed beer. Having a keg fridge that holds 4 cornies helps though :D

Have you considered putting a "T" in the line after the regulator and serving your beer out of one keg as the other slowly carbs over time at the same pressure?

Thats what I do. I have two taps currently. I use the set it and forget it method. After about a week it becomes carbed enough to drink. You can also use priming sugar and the keg will be ready to go. After about a pint or two any sediment clears up.

Back