Brew didnt clear up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandman

Reaction score
Hello all,
I just finished bottling (tap-a-draft) my first brew. I did the extract kit located here.
Code:
http://morebeer.com/view_product/18337/102178/Nut_Brown_Ale-_Extract
Now, it looks like beer, and smells like beer. Doesnt even really taste too bad. But it didn't clear up very much at all and I'm wondering what would cause this and what to do about it?

Thanks,

Well, a couple of things come to mind for me. One is time- how long did you let it sit in the fermenter before you "tap a draft"ed it? A month or so would definitely help it clear, as well as bringing it to a cold temperature. Sometimes finings work well- I use whirlfloc in the boil and my beers are crystal clear.

When you chilled the wort after boiling it, how fast did you bring it down to pitching temps? A super fast cooling will cause a "cold break", congealing proteins and having them drop out. That won't help you now, I realize, but definitely for next time!

Ther could be many reasons. My first instinct is to tell you not to worry about it on your first brew, but to each their own.

Put it in the fridge for a week or so and it should clear some.

Whirloc, irish moss, and other additives are used by some to clear. I suggest you do a search.

Before bottling next time try "crashing the yeast" by cranking the temp in the carboy down to about 50. That will help with clarity.

I used Whirfloc but I don't have much of a cooling system (yet) so I'm certain there was little cold break. It sat in the primary for 28 days. It's in the fridge now so lets hope it clears up a bit.

If you're bottle conditioning then you'll notice a little bit of murkiness for a week or so after you bottle I've noticed. Bottle carbing is reintroducing sugar to the yeast that's left in the beer, and they go nuts and reproduce on the little sugar that you leave in there, and thus what you bottled may be crystal clear, but clouds up for a few days, then slowly clears out again as the yeast settle.

Plus, there's always the potential of chill haze. But that's a different bedtime story.

Back