When to get an SG reading during primary fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevs15

Reaction score
Hey friends!

I started my very first kit of wine last night! I'm very excited but don't know if I'm doing it right. I checked this morning and the airlock is bubbling. Should I take off the airlock (I've read both sides on that topic)? And how often, if at all, should I take a SG reading during this first stage?

Thanks!

Hi,

Congratulations on your first batch. What are you making?

Are you using a bucket or Carboy?

When I start my wine I use a bucket and cover it with a sanitized plastic mesh bag I bought at the brewing store. Once it reaches around 1.020 I transfer it to the Carboy. I have also placed the cover on the bucket and put an airlock on it. Had no troubles.

You certainly could follow the directions that came with the kit to know when to transfer to the Carboy.

I take readings every couple of days or so.

Thanks! The wine making kit I have has a 6 gallon bucket with a lid and airlock. I've heard two different views of using an airlock....

I have a carboy but I'm not at that stage just yet.

The wine kit I'm making wine from is Vintners Reserve.

So it's okay to take a couple readings with the hydrometer during this first stage?

I have used vitners reserve and it came out great.

I have taken readings the day after I started and had no issues at all.

Do you have a wine thief? Of course sanitization is important.

It allows you to take wine out of your bucket or Carboy. It's a long hollow tube. You can place your hydrometer in it to take a reading.

If you don't have one you could place your hydrometer right in the wine and get a reading.

I think some may prefer to have a greater air surface at the beginning stages so they don't cover their bucket with the cover and air lock. They would cover with a sanitized cloth or plastic mesh. I tend to use this method but have done what you did many times and it works just fine.

Thanks for the info! So would it be ok to remove the airlock and keep the lid on?

Thanks for the info! So would it be ok to remove the airlock and keep the lid on?

It would probably be ok, but I don't know why you would.

Those kits are pretty decent kits, but you really HAVE to follow the directions! They tell you right in the instructions when to check the SG, to keep it airlocked, etc. Just follow the instructions and you'll do great!

Pay special attention to the directions on degassing. That really is a crucial step, and you want to stir it until no more bubbles occur. In a cold climate, this could be a while (and cold temperatures "hold" onto co2 more). I've been degassing a kit wine all day today! Even with a stirrer mounted on my electric drill, I've been at it in bits and pieces since 9 AM!

Back