Starter did not appear to start...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_PA

Reaction score
Sorry for the stupid question, but this is a first for me. I am making a N. German Pilsner this weekend, and I made a starter on Weds night with 2 liters of water, 5 ozs of dme and pitched a tube of WL German lager after cooling to 70 degrees. The odd thing was the tube of yeast was not sealed properly. When I got home from the LHBS, the small plastic tabs between the screw top and the plastic ring were all broken, leading m to believe it was previously opened. Sanitation was top notch. This is the third starter I've done with this current equipment configuration, and all of the others have been great. What gives? Every other starter has taken off quickly. Should I scrap this one, get new yeast and repitch tonight? Is there enough time for this to work if I make the starter tonight to brew and pitch tomorrow?
lager_starter.jpg

hmm, you always hear that a good reason to make a starter is in case your yeast is bad. I guess you've proven that point to us.

Is there any way it could have taken off and you missed it?

I've read the argument that if you're not going to give it enough time that you're actually weakening your yeast by making a starter. However, I've done one with only 24 hours and it took off fine after I pitched.

On the other hand, there are some people who never make starters, including the guy who owns my LHBS who has been brewing for 15 years and makes dang good beer. You could always just pitch the tube.

If this picture is of your current starter it looks to me like activity did take place and now all your yeast has settled to the bottom. I'm sure you could pitch and be fine.

If you're concerned about the quality of the yeast due to the tube being opened I would say get more yeast, do another starter, and as long as you give it 24 hours or so you should be good to go.

TheJadedDog said:
If this picture is of your current starter it looks to me like activity did take place and now all your yeast has settled to the bottom. I'm sure you could pitch and be fine.

If you're concerned about the quality of the yeast due to the tube being opened I would say get more yeast, do another starter, and as long as you give it 24 hours or so you should be good to go.

Thanks guys. I called the stor I got the yeast from and the owner answered and said I bought the first tube of White Labs they ever sold (they used to only sell Wyeast in liquid). He said the box came right from White Labs and was opened for me, not to worry about the opened vile, as long as it smelled right, which it did. I imagine it could have happened and I missed it, but I thought there would have been some Krausen on the flask... perhaps not.

Oh well, RDWHAHB

Ryan_PA said:
Thanks guys. I called the stor I got the yeast from and the owner answered and said I bought the first tube of White Labs they ever sold (they used to only sell Wyeast in liquid). He said the box came right from White Labs and was opened for me, not to worry about the opened vile, as long as it smelled right, which it did. I imagine it could have happened and I missed it, but I thought there would have been some Krausen on the flask... perhaps not.

Oh well, RDWHAHB

huh??? They opened your vial of yeast???? Whats the date on the vial? I wouldn't buy "white labs" yeast that has the seal broken. Who knows what it is, or if its even white labs yeast. Heck.. The guy probably opened it, took half of the yeast out for a starter he made, closed, and sold it to you.

How long had that starter been sitting when you took the photo? All of my starts look cloudy for at least the first 48 hours. That starter looks like its been sitting for like 5 days.

sirsloop said:
huh??? They opened your vial of yeast???? Whats the date on the vial? I wouldn't buy "white labs" yeast that has the seal broken. Who knows what it is, or if its even white labs yeast. Heck.. The guy probably opened it, took half of the yeast out for a starter he made, closed, and sold it to you.

How long had that starter been sitting when you took the photo? All of my starts look cloudy for at least the first 48 hours. That starter looks like its been sitting for like 5 days.

I do not think they opened the yeast. Like I said, the box of yeast was opened when I bought it. If I wanted to be a real conspiricy thorist, I could asay they opened the box, tampered with the product, then resealed the box... but I am based in reality. Not sure why it was the way it was, but it came from White Labs that way. This is a respected store, they would not do what you are insinuating

The pic is from my crappy cell phone camera. It is actually a little cloudy on the bottom, but since this is a lager yeast, I did not pay that too much attention. This starter was pitched around midnight on Weds, and the pic was taken at 7:00 this morning, so it was like 32 hours old.

I pitched my white labs yeast without making a starter. Staight out of the vial (after a vigorous shaking) and my beer tastes excellent... quite a vigorous fermentation as well.

You should be fine. As you stated, RDWHAHB.

wait... the box was open or the plastic top was opened? I can possibly see how the plastic top got opened without someone physically unscrewing it intentionally.

As far as the less than 24 hours thing, I was reading a pretty good site about the rate of yeast reproduction -- in 4 hours there are a LOT more than when you pitched, so if you have less than 24 hours you still will reproduce enough yeast to pitch way more than just a tube's worth...
I think it was on the Jack Keller wine website that I read that stuff.

Did you take a hydrometer reading on the starter? That should tell you whether fermentation has taken place.

i doubt it... I think most people just eyeball some DME and water, boil, chill, and toss in a jar with some yeast. The main purpose of a starter for me is two fold... one to get the active yeast count up, and two is to make enough so I can store half for future use. Proofing the yeast is kinda a tertiary goal... but ive never had problems with bad yeast - even after its been in my fridge for 3 months.

Yeah thats what i do, just put some water in a pan, add some DME( no measurements) then put it in my sanitized growler , pitch the yeast and let it go.

the yeast that's settled on the bottom of the flask looks like way more than comes in a vial of whitelabs.

i think it's good.

on my lower gravity beers(1.030-.44) i usually just toss the yeast in without starter. i'm not saying do that, but it works.

Ryan_PA said:
pitched around midnight on Weds, and the pic was taken at 7:00 this morning, so it was like 32 hours old.

WL tubs have lots of yeast. They probably are finished. I has the same issue with a pint starter for my Kolsch. When I stepped it up with 1 liter of fresh wort, it took off.

You should be just fine.

Sweet Lord! Over night the ferment took off... Lesson, always make a starter.

THanks for the words guys. If I think about it, I will post another pic.

Latest posts

Back