First AG tomorrow....tell me whatcha think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOOTER

Reaction score
After years of brewing with extract, it's time to move on to AG. Purchased the 10 gal. AGS from Northern Brewer and I'm gonna break it in tomorrow. I've been big into Belgian ales lately so I figured a relatively simple Saison recipe might be in order. Just looking for advice or recipe critiques or whatever else you want to throw my way. Here's what I came up with:

8 lbs. Belgian pale malt
1 lb. Belgian Caravienne
.5 lb. Carafoam
1 lb. Blonde candi sugar

1 oz. Northern Brewer (60 min)
.5 oz. French Strisselspalt (15 min)
.5 oz. French Strisselspalt (5 min)

Wyeast 3711 French Saison

Just gonna do a standard single infusion mash. 60 min @ 150, 10 min @ 168. If you've got anything that may be useful for my maiden voyage into AG brewing, lay it on me.

Sounds like you're ready to throw down to me.......

IMO though, in the future check out this forum and ask around about building your own equipment. I just went and looked at those prices @ Northern Brewer and......ouch.

I do almost all of my own fabricating when I can......not for everyone but......you can build bigger better and almost always a whole lot cheaper doing it yourself......just a thought.

Good point BBL. I thought about going the DIY route but the combination of laziness and a little extra moolah (tax return) steered me in the other direction. I just like the thought of getting everything I need in one shot. Luckily the price of the system I purchased went up about $40 right after I bought it.

Back