black and tan for st patricks day.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underwaterdan

Reaction score
Well I am going to start now with brewing my st paddys day beers. I want to brew 2 beers that are gonig to be great seperate or as a black and tan. So now I just need to know where to start... anyone know of any good (all grain) recipes that I can use to accomplish this? (Restrictions: no lagering facilities, and no nitrogren) These will be kegged....

This.

Bog-standard Dry Irish Stout and some sort of pale beer.

The bog-standard DIS is 70% Pale Malt, 20% FlakedBarley, 10% Roasted Barley, single-infusion mash at ~150F, OG ~1048. Bittering addition only to a 1:1 BU:GU ratio. Ferment with a clean, well-attenuating ale yeast. By no means use Irish Ale yeasts, which always fail to attenuate sufficiently for the style. This is a good job for Nottingham.

The pale beer is up to you. I might suggest the Pride of Raubsville in my recipes dropdown; it's popular on its own as well as in combination with other beers.

Cheers,

Bob

Logistically (and someone correct me if I'm wrong here), the guinness floats on top due to a lower FG than the paler beer, so something like an ordinary bitter would also finish too low in order to produce the two-layer effect of a black and tan, thus something more along the lines of a relatively sweet special bitter or ESB, ending around 1.012 or so, maybe higher. At least, that is my understanding of it, which, again, might be right out.

Okay I am thinking of making BM's bass clone. I dont want to do a guinness clone because I dont have nitrogen, and really that is the best way to enjoy one. So anyone recommend any other beer that I can float with this?

Back