Stout fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

felix

Reaction score
My (Cooper's) Stout is in its final days of primary fermention, witch was kept at temperatures ranging between 60F and 65F (15ish to 18 celcius). I didnt take a gravity reading yet, but airlock activity is getting real slow.

now the 2 last days have been quite cold in the region here so my cold room has dropped to around 55-57F.

should i worry and bring it to a warmer spot to complete its fermentation?

any opinion welcomed :mug:

What yeast did you use? Regardless, that is a bit low. Try to bring it up into the mid 60's until fermentation is complete. That is a great temp for secondary though.

mh, sorry, i used the cooper's yeast, i should have specified.

and thanks for the tip! i'll try to find a better spot for the fermenter. i'm scouting around with the thermometer :)

Optimum fermentation temps for Coopers is 60-72f. After it has reached it's final gravity age it in the cooler room for a bit.

by the way, is it normal for a stout to have some kind of "sweet tropical fruit" smell coming out of the airlock?! I've kept the room's temp pretty low during the whole process, so normally i shouldn't get banana esters kicking in...or should i ?!
it sure smells heavenly tho....:ban: :rockin:

Optimum fermentation temps for Coopers is 60-72f. After it has reached it's final gravity age it in the cooler room for a bit.

i will sure give this baby all the time it needs......

oh, again by the way, i expect the ABV to be pretty low, in the 4.5 zone... i am contemplating the option of racking it on some more fermentables. Is there anything i should keep in my while doing this? Is it ok to do it at all? I'm importing some hard cider making principles here, dont know if it is applicable to beer/stout/Cooper's kit kinda brew.

thanks again

Sorry- I just didn't have an answer. Stout is usually not a high ABV beer, it's usually in the 4.5%-6% range.

You can add more fermentables if you want- just keep in mind what happens. You've hopped to the OG that you had, so if you boost the ABV, you'll be underhopped a bit. You'll be either maltier (if you had malt extract) or drier (if you add simple sugars). I think that if you used a decent recipe in the formulation of this brew that changing it would depend on what you're looking for. If you're looking for a good tasting, well balanced beer, you may already have that. If you're looking for more alcohol, you could just drink more.

by the way, is it normal for a stout to have some kind of "sweet tropical fruit" smell coming out of the airlock?! I've kept the room's temp pretty low during the whole process, so normally i shouldn't get banana esters kicking in...or should i ?!
it sure smells heavenly tho....:ban: :rockin:

there all kinds of gross/funny/odd smells during fermentation, and they change all the time. i wouldn't think anything of it.

yooper: well, i'm not looking for rocket fuel, but where iam from we like our beer strong (Fin Du Monde anyone?) and artisan microbrewed stouts are often in the 6-8% range. I would like mine closer to 6%, hence the question...

also its important to point out the fact that my beer is made from a Cooper's kit, and did not whent trough any hopping schedule (its pre-hopped). But i first used only 2/3 of the can and put the heat on for 45 minutes or so and then added the rest of the can in the mash for another 20 minutes... i've read on this forum it gives rounder maltier beer...

i would like to thank you for providing me with a lightbulb moment when suggesting the use of dried malt extract to add as fermentables.

since its my first beer ever and experimentation is the game, i think i will split the batch and try one part racked on fermentables and not the rest.

defenestrate: i'm lucky then that it has smelled wonderful since day 1 :)

thanks guys

yooper: well, i'm not looking for rocket fuel, but where iam from we like our beer strong (Fin Du Monde anyone?) and artisan microbrewed stouts are often in the 6-8% range. I would like mine closer to 6%, hence the question...

I'm sure this goes without saying, but the best thing to do is calculate your ABV before brewing to reach your desired alcohol content. IMO, you should leave it alone and get going on your next brew ASAP. Take what you've learned and apply it to future brews.

hehe good point, in fact i knew i was doing wrong, the thing is i miscalculated my quantities of sugars when i first kettled my must and when i took my OG at the end it turned out horrible, 1.040!!!! so i took a pot out and boiled some brown sugar and honey, cooled it, trew it in the fermenter with the rest,, pitched the yeasts, gave the whole thing a shake to aerate and mix, and strapped on the airlock. Didnt take a last final reading, SWMBO was in a hurry for some other business...

i did not add a lot of sugars, my estimates are in the 1.045 final OG.... but there is no way to verify anymore.

always blame SWMBO for homebrewing mistakes eh.

given SWMBO means girlfriend. Does it?

Back